Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+43
Russian_Patriot_
Lennox
ALAMO
Mir
Big_Gazza
TMA1
dino00
thegopnik
Lurk83
owais.usmani
Atmosphere
JohninMK
Hole
magnumcromagnon
Sujoy
Cyberspec
ult
Flanky
KomissarBojanchev
kopyo-21
KiloGolf
flamming_python
KoTeMoRe
franco
Kyo
George1
zackyx
GunshipDemocracy
Cyrus the great
iraqidabab
TR1
Flyboy77
Vann7
TheArmenian
sepheronx
Hachimoto
medo
xeno
Werewolf
GarryB
IronsightSniper
Mindstorm
ahmedfire
47 posters

Russian Helicopter ATGMs

Cyrus the great

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Helicopter ATGMs

Post  Cyrus the great Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:32 pm

GarryB wrote:
    I know that the Russians have an arguably superior missile [Hermes] with far greater speeds and a whopping 100 km max range, but it weighs 110 kg.

AFAIK only the ground launched model of Hermes will reach 100km range with a ballistic flight path.

Couldn't the Russians either create a lighter variant of the Hermes [around 50 kg] or extend the range of the khrizantema to 15-20 km for its attack helicopters?

the standard model Hermes for helicopter launch will have a range of about 20km, and I suspect later model helicopter launched variations of Khrisantema and Vikhr will likely persist as the cheaper lighter options.

The 20 km range is extraordinary but the Hermes-A still weighs 110 kg. A 20 km version of the Khrizantema would be ideal for attack helicopters. I know that it would probably be needlessly expensive to develop such a variant, but hey, one can dream.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:
    God, I love this forum... I am learning so much. I'm surprised that the Hellfire isn't nearly as capable as I was led to believe. I know that the Russians have an arguably superior missile [Hermes] with far greater speeds and a whopping 100 km max range, but it weighs 110 kg. Couldn't the Russians either create a lighter variant of the Hermes [around 50 kg] or extend the range of the khrizantema to 15-20 km for its attack helicopters?

The comparision between Hellfire and Hermes isn't fair, they were designed in completley different times and are different kind of technology generation. If you want to compare it to a counterpart so you have to compare it with one off the US designs as next gen. heliborne ATGM. The US had several proposals, some died off, were closed some emerged into existing projects like raytheons project PAASM (Precision Attack Air-to Surface Missile) AFAIK which was canceled years ago, then there was JCM (Join Common Missile) that was a replacement for Mavericks with up to 28km range (fixed wing) that was also tested in 2005 for Apaches, the budget for that project was terminated and relocated to the JAGM project. That would be the current project be JGAM (Joint Air-to Ground Missile) which is to great deal based on Hellfire and has a range of around 15-18km,(which mainly comes as a deal between new rocket engine and non dogmatic "top attack" trajectory which burned the fuel before it even reached 2km mark) however not much information on it but is suppossed to be the introduced into active service in 2019 roughly the same timeline of Hermes, but that will take some years untill those missiles will be in sufficient numbers and take even longer to be called "main armament" far post 2025.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/JAGM.html

I guess I was terribly unfair comparing recently developed missiles to those that have been in service for decades. If a top-attack trajectory is so difficult to deploy beyond reasonable range, why doesn't the US just scrap that particular requirement and get on with it? That's probably a stupid question seeing as how the top-attack trajectory is in vogue now. A 20 km variant of the Khrizantema for rotary aircraft would be a game changer. Thanks for your extensive reply.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Cyrus the great wrote:
    I guess I was terribly unfair comparing recently developed missiles to those that have been in service for decades. If a top-attack trajectory is so difficult to deploy beyond reasonable range, why doesn't the US just scrap that particular requirement and get on with it? That's probably a stupid question seeing as how the top-attack trajectory is in vogue now. A 20 km variant of the Khrizantema for rotary aircraft would be a game changer. Thanks for your extensive reply.

Well the top-attack requirement isn't the issue here, the issue with the Hellfire is does not have a direct-launch profile mode. It has three missile launch profiles, low trajectory, the missile still tries to gain altitude considered Top attack even tho the missile does not hit tanks roof armor, not even close. The other profiles are mid and high, they both gain again altitude the difference with mid and low trajectory is the missile launch profile and trajectory of gaining altitude and going down on target is still rather flat, but the high trajectory was initially designed to be used behind cover so the missile will not hit trees, obstacles or nearby buildings which is the actual top attack, all other profiles do not even hit the weak roof armor, it gives them still some advantage due better angle to armor but that is essentially the case for any heliborne launched missile/rocket.

They did not see it as a big problem because it is not a big problem, most engagements of Apaches vs tanks are done between 30-700m at such altitudes the operators can't even see nor designate targets further away than 3-4km and that is the case for all Helicopters, they all have a similiar requirement to deploy to battlefield with high valued targets like MBT's with NoE (Nap over Earth) flights, because it is crucial for helicopters to stay undetected with very good intel of enemy forces for succesful and effective use of helicopters. Russians, Chinese, US and any other country try to reduce the chances of being spotted or targeted by MANPADS by flying low to their targets and they usually remain lower than 1km altitude for many reasons, not being spotted, it is far more effecient with combat load to fly at lower altitudes due better and denser air which gives better flight performance and fuel effecient flight. They usually tend to gain altitude 2-3km away from tanks and then launch their ATGM's, but that is not always the case and will not be always the case due the increasing capability of defense suites and when non isolated targets appear, where a full strike against a variety of targets is necessary, the US has adopted the same thing the Soviets/Russians did and still do with Hinds, which provides the highest and most effecient way of dealing with quite often occuring targets of different value in formation or fortification.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 am

The main feature of the Hermes is speed.

Getting to the target area quickly is critical especially against a moving target that, if it is a tank, will be accelerating from cover to cover looking for targets.

Having a range of 20km is great, but smoke and dust and the general difficulty of detecting and properly identifying targets at that range mean most actual shots will be taken at rather shorter range.

Krisantema will not likely ever get a range of 20km... 8-10km is rather more sensible, as there are plenty of battlefield targets that don't require a Hermes sized weapon to kill them... a smaller, lighter, shorter range weapon that is also cheaper makes a lot of sense... and in this situation I would be in favour of the Ka-52 keeping its Vikhr missiles as well, though Hermes will be the primary long range weapon for helos and light aircraft...
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:

Well the top-attack requirement isn't the issue here, the issue with the Hellfire is does not have a direct-launch profile mode. It has three missile launch profiles, low trajectory, the missile still tries to gain altitude considered Top attack even tho the missile does not hit tanks roof armor, not even close. The other profiles are mid and high, they both gain again altitude the difference with mid and low trajectory is the missile launch profile and trajectory of gaining altitude and going down on target is still rather flat, but the high trajectory was initially designed to be used behind cover so the missile will not hit trees, obstacles or nearby buildings which is the actual top attack, all other profiles do not even hit the weak roof armor, it gives them still some advantage due better angle to armor but that is essentially the case for any heliborne launched missile/rocket.

They did not see it as a big problem because it is not a big problem, most engagements of Apaches vs tanks are done between 30-700m at such altitudes the operators can't even see nor designate targets further away than 3-4km and that is the case for all Helicopters, they all have a similiar requirement to deploy to battlefield with high valued targets like MBT's with NoE (Nap over Earth) flights, because it is crucial for helicopters to stay undetected with very good intel of enemy forces for succesful and effective use of helicopters. Russians, Chinese, US and any other country try to reduce the chances of being spotted or targeted by MANPADS by flying low to their targets and they usually remain lower than 1km altitude for many reasons, not being spotted, it is far more effecient with combat load to fly at lower altitudes due better and denser air which gives better flight performance and fuel effecient flight. They usually tend to gain altitude 2-3km away from tanks and then launch their ATGM's, but that is not always the case and will not be always the case due the increasing capability of defense suites and when non isolated targets appear, where a full strike against a variety of targets is necessary, the US has adopted the same thing the Soviets/Russians did and still do with Hinds, which provides the highest and most effecient way of dealing with quite often occuring targets of different value in formation or fortification.

I really cannot add much to this, other than to say thank you. When you lay it out like that [with facts] it makes it untenable for me to continue arguing for a 20 km missile in a theatre replete with sophisticated air defence systems like the Russian Pantsir. I will have to read up on deployment doctrines and the constraints that the environment impose on them instead of being fixated on weapon (s) performance stats.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:47 pm

GarryB wrote:The main feature of the Hermes is speed.

Getting to the target area quickly is critical especially against a moving target that, if it is a tank, will be accelerating from cover to cover looking for targets.

Having a range of 20km is great, but smoke and dust and the general difficulty of detecting and properly identifying targets at that range mean most actual shots will be taken at rather shorter range.

Krisantema will not likely ever get a range of 20km... 8-10km is rather more sensible, as there are plenty of battlefield targets that don't require a Hermes sized weapon to kill them... a smaller, lighter, shorter range weapon that is also cheaper makes a lot of sense... and in this situation I would be in favour of the Ka-52 keeping its Vikhr missiles as well, though Hermes will be the primary long range weapon for helos and light aircraft...

Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the speed of the Hermes missile. You're right, a 20 km missile would be difficult to deploy, and even then, it could only be conceivably deployable against third world insurgents with last generation MANPADS. I like the fact that you and Werewolf have been really patient with me. Thanks, Garry
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:17 am

It is important to keep in mind the platforms involved and their job.

In the early 1980s you have the Hind operating with Su-25s in attack or with Mi-8 Hips dropping in troops.

In the former job 5km range guided missiles is plenty for daylight only attacks on point hard targets and rockets and light cannon/HMG for area targets.

Fitting the Hind with a 20km range guided missile would be a total waste of time.

Today however, with their long range sensors, high speed and connection to a battle network that will include all sorts of data sourced from UAVs and recon units and satellites and finding targets deep behind enemy lines becomes much more likely.

Of course having a range of 20km does not mean using it from 20km with every shot... most of the time it will be from less than half that, but a well protected target can be weakened from a distance so even against a very strong enemy these weapons will be useful in reducing a strong defence to the point where other assets can get closer and finish it off.

Hermes will be very useful for Su-25 and its replacement aircraft too due to the standoff range it will confer on the aircraft making attacks much safer without compromising accuracy.
    Cyrus the great

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 Empty Russian ATGM missiles

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:27 pm

GarryB wrote:It is important to keep in mind the platforms involved and their job.

In the early 1980s you have the Hind operating with Su-25s in attack or with Mi-8 Hips dropping in troops.

In the former job 5km range guided missiles is plenty for daylight only attacks on point hard targets and rockets and light cannon/HMG for area targets.

Fitting the Hind with a 20km range guided missile would be a total waste of time.

Today however, with their long range sensors, high speed and connection to a battle network that will include all sorts of data sourced from UAVs and recon units and satellites and finding targets deep behind enemy lines becomes much more likely.

Of course having a range of 20km does not mean using it from 20km with every shot... most of the time it will be from less than half that, but a well protected target can be weakened from a distance so even against a very strong enemy these weapons will be useful in reducing a strong defence to the point where other assets can get closer and finish it off.

Hermes will be very useful for Su-25 and its replacement aircraft too due to the standoff range it will confer on the aircraft making attacks much safer without compromising accuracy.

The Ka-52 would be a perfect candidate for a 20 km missile if or when the Russians feel that they need such a capability. I like the fact that the Russians are keeping close air support aircraft like the Su-25 instead of deluding themselves with the notion that an aircraft like the F-35 can take its place in CAS operations.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:15 am

and yet one more form KRET

KRET developed a laser guidance system of missiles for helicopters

http://vpk-news.ru/news/25842

Concern Radio-electronic technology (KRET), belongs to the State Corporation Rostec, has developed a multi-channel laser-beam guidance system (SLS) for the Ka-52, Mi-8MNP, Mi-28N, which can also be installed in the ground equipment, MANPADS and drones. According to the press service of the concern.

The new development will provide high precision missile guidance and allow helicopters to use missiles of various types.

SLS is designed to complete the task and bring traffic control guided missile to the target captured and held a gun or maintenance by the operator.

The system uses a powerful cw solid-state laser pumped by laser diodes. Scanning the laser beam is carried out compact, low-inertia, an acousto-optic deflector xy, without mechanical components and controlled by electrical signals. The product analog control field generated solely by mechanical means, resulting in a lower speed, reduced reliability, increased size and weight.

"Concern was created for the production of highly intelligent and innovative systems and their introduction to the series. They must be universal, in other words - must be installed on the old and the new technique - first deputy general director Igor KRET Nasenkov. - Modern laser technology KRET fully meet these requirements. In particular, the SLS can be installed on helicopters and the ground equipment, MANPADS and drones. "

The tests confirmed the high accuracy of the SLS guided missiles and high reliability of the developed equipment. Laser guidance system commercially available in enterprises KRET.

zackyx

Post  zackyx Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 am

GarryB is there any picture or documentation about the KAB-50 ?
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:02 am

I have read that 9M120 Ataka missile is often confused with 9K121 Vikhr, although are 2 different systems.

Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant favours the former, while Sukhoi and Kamov favour the latter.

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 Empty KRET developed a laser guidance system of missiles for helicopters

Post  GarryB Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 pm

GarryB is there any picture or documentation about the KAB-50 ?

Nothing I have seen... only talk related to new UAVs and UCAVs about small light weapons optimised for such platforms... they also mention a 7 shot 80mm rocket pod and laser beam riding ATGMs like Krisantema and Kornet-EM.
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Kalashnikov Delivered First Batch of Vikhr 1 Missiles to Russian Army

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 AWMucGljcy5saXZlam91cm5hbC5jb20vYm1wZC8zODAyNDk4MC82OTkzMDYvNjk5MzA2X29yaWdpbmFsLmpwZz9fX2lkPTY5NTA5

Is this old, or a newcomer?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Kyo wrote:Kalashnikov Delivered First Batch of Vikhr 1 Missiles to Russian Army

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 AWMucGljcy5saXZlam91cm5hbC5jb20vYm1wZC8zODAyNDk4MC82OTkzMDYvNjk5MzA2X29yaWdpbmFsLmpwZz9fX2lkPTY5NTA5

Is this old, or a newcomer?

Interesting article coz from what i know Vikhr-1 was adopted into service in early 90s and it was ordered before too but not in significant amounts, i dont think they are first, its probably refering to "first batch of 6000 ordered".

"August 6, 2013: Russia has ordered over 6,000 Vikhr (9K121/AT-16) laser guided missiles. The $400 million order was in part to prevent the manufacturer from going bankrupt. The 45 kg (99 pound) Vikhr is similar to the American Hellfire, but did not show up until 1990. Sales have been slow since then, in part because another Russian manufacturer had a similar missile (Ataka V). While Vikhr is similar in size and function to Hellfire, it uses a different (laser beam riding) laser guidance system. Vikhr has a max range of 10 kilometers and a 10 kg (22 pound) warhead. It is primarily used on Ka-50/52 helicopters and Su-25 ground attack aircraft. The older (and more numerous) Mi-24 helicopter uses the Ataka V."
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Helicopter ATGMs - Page 4 Empty Vikhr (9K121/AT-16)

Post  sepheronx Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:19 pm

There was an issue with the quality of the Vikhr's in the past. So they had to make changes. Apparently, according to TR1 over at the keypub forums that Kalashnikov plant figured out the issues and updated production of them. So there should be an updated and more quality variant of the Vikhr missile.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:29 am

I think Ataka will mainly be carried by Ka-52 and the land version maybe we see it in future IFV/BMPT
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:48 am

Ataka is an evolution of Shturm... the original AT-6 Spiral.

The current evolution of that missile is the Krisantema which has dual guidance and longer range and rather better armour penetration performance than Ataka.

Ataka is currently the standard ATGM of the Mi-28N and late model Hinds and has been seen on the Ka-52 on an unusual three lots of twin tubes on one pylon mounting.

With Vikhrs in production I think the Ka-52s will have the option of Atakas, Krisantema, and Vikhr with the future option of Hermes, while the Mi-28N and M models will likely use Atakas and Krisantemas and in the future get Hermes. I suspect the Hinds will continue to use Atakas and Krisantema.

I suspect production will focus on Krisantema and stocks of Ataka will just get used up and it will only remain in production for export.

Vikhr is a very cheap missile to produce, as will be the Krisantema while the Hermes will be the big heavy capable missile that is carried when needed.

I rather suspect they have enormous numbers of Atakas and even perhaps some Shturm missiles which based on the performance of Konkurs should be perfectly effective for a wide range of targets for the forseeable future... while stocks last.

I suspect the Krisantema and the Vikhr will remain in production as the cheap numbers missiles for a range of platforms (Krisantema for Mi-28N/M and Hind and Ka-52, Vikhr for Ka-52 and Su-25, as cheap but effective enough weapons and Hermes as the future heavy air to ground ATGM weapon for pretty much all anti armour aircraft including unmanned and ground based....)

With the unification of the missiles with Pantsir-S is interesting... the Hermes is terminally guided while the Pantsir-S is command guided... I would suspect both could be used against both ground and air targets... if the threat is from the ground then a 40 tube HERMES launcher would be a potent defence but if the threat is UAVs then that 40 tube launcher could be loaded with cheap command guided missiles controlled by a nearby Pantsir-S system.

Instead of an air defence unit to support other units it could be an air and ground defence unit... multipurpose...
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 pm

Since Spherenox mentioned a discussion on keypub about ATGM's, i read a little bit... well what can i say i am not even surprised by so many nonsense talk and hurt feelings of some individuals taking everything personal if they are not right with their uneducated assumptions. So many funny misconceptions about Fire and Forget weapons, helicopters purposes and what not. Kind of funny to read, but my fingers itch. Smile
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:35 pm

I can finally thank you guys (Garry and Werewolf) for so kindly taking time to answer my questions and educating me.

Question: How does the Vikhr missile penetrate more armour than the Hellfire when it has a warhead with a smaller diameter? Now, as you know the Vikhr has a diameter of 130mm whereas the Hellfire has a diameter of 178mm.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 am

Question: How does the Vikhr missile penetrate more armour than the Hellfire when it has a warhead with a smaller diameter? Now, as you know the Vikhr has a diameter of 130mm whereas the Hellfire has a diameter of 178mm.

Note I said all things being equal a larger calibre will penetrate more than a smaller calibre.

There are a lot of other variables... including but not only... the metal used in the shaped charge cone, the amount of explosive used, and of course whether tandem charges are used or not.

Remember the most powerful HEAT 125mm tank gun round has a small precursor charge to defeat ERA and then two full calibre HEAT warheads designed to fire in order.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 am

Cyrus the great wrote:

There are some aspects in missile design that give a increase in penetration potential based on shaped charge, explosive filler and arrangement of  interior design which functions aswell as a probe for the shaped charge to form a penetrator.

The Vikhr's seeker and guidance system is at the back, the fuel cell and engine is at the center and the HE-F charge along the shaped charge are the front with the proximity fuze segment. The Vikhr uses only its hollow tip as a probe without much interference for the Penetrator while it is forming and moving forward towards armor/object it hit. The angle the explosive charge around the Cone is also slightly better angled than the shaped charge of the Hellfire which is bulkier for better HE effect.

The Hellfire has its Missile seeker circuit and electronic in the front section, in front of the warhead segment which is at the middle. In contact detonation on armor the forming cone of copper while moving forward has to pass  through the soft but still objects as the entire guidance seeker head while it has not much of penetration capability. Thus its full potential is decreased by the missile design, which is not big of a deal when successfully launched in high-trajectory (Top attack), less effective when launched in low-trajectory (direct attack).

The other point is the warhead segment of the Vikhr weights 11.5kg compared to the AGM-114K which weights 9kg. There is a bit of a difference there.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    There are some aspects in missile design that give a increase in penetration potential based on shaped charge, explosive filler and arrangement of  interior design which functions aswell as a probe for the shaped charge to form a penetrator.

The Vikhr's seeker and guidance system is at the back, the fuel cell and engine is at the center and the HE-F charge along the shaped charge are the front with the proximity fuze segment. The Vikhr uses only its hollow tip as a probe without much interference for the Penetrator while it is forming and moving forward towards armor/object it hit. The angle the explosive charge around the Cone is also slightly better angled than the shaped charge of the Hellfire which is bulkier for better HE effect.

The Hellfire has its Missile seeker circuit and electronic in the front section, in front of the warhead segment which is at the middle. In contact detonation on armor the forming cone of copper while moving forward has to pass  through the soft but still objects as the entire guidance seeker head while it has not much of penetration capability. Thus its full potential is decreased by the missile design, which is not big of a deal when successfully launched in high-trajectory (Top attack), less effective when launched in low-trajectory (direct attack).

The other point is the warhead segment of the Vikhr weights 11.5kg compared to the AGM-114K which weights 9kg. There is a bit of a difference there.

That's very revealing. I was trying to wrap my head around how in the world the Vikhr outperforms the Hellfire in that department but your post comprehensively sums it up. I assume that if the designers of the Hellfire had placed the electro-optical component of its targeting system at the back, it would perform better than it currently does. The Vikhr has better range, penetration and significantly higher speed than the Hellfire but it's crucially not fire-and-forget... so why isn't there a Vikhr variant with a mmw seeker and an electro-optical seeker?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:11 pm

It was never introduced to service mainly because of cost and over time cost for maintenance since it wears down gun barrels for only little additional penetration capability. APC's and IFV's main weapon to fight against anything that is a threat is still ATGM's.

That's very revealing. I was trying to wrap my head around how in the world the Vikhr outperforms the Hellfire in that department but your post comprehensively sums it up. I assume that if the designers of the Hellfire had placed the electro-optical component of its targeting system at the back, it would perform better than it currently does. The Vikhr has better range, penetration and significantly higher speed than the Hellfire but it's crucially not fire-and-forget... so why isn't there a Vikhr variant with a mmw seeker and an electro-optical seeker?

The hellfire would lose one of its advantages if they had moved the missile seeker to the back and made it a LBR. It would lose the ability for LOAL capability and would need it to sue manually on target, even tho this is common practice for skilled WSO's for rapid Hellfire engagements for several idling tanks like seen in some cases in iraq.

Vikhr had a version proposal but it never gone forward due to cost for missile unit aswell since the program for mast mounted Arbalet was closed.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:51 am

Fire and forget is over rated...

I remember recently seeing video of missiles fired by Havocs missing targets in Syria and it reminded me of similar footage of Hellfires missing targets in Iraq.

Very simply the Vikhr has an auto target tracker so the missile will be guided to impact to the target without interference from the operator.

The difference is that the Vikhr is a much faster missile and will get to the target in a shorter period of time so the time spent lasing the target will be much shorter and also even right up until the point of impact the operator can abort the attack.

With fire and forget you really can't tell what it will actually lock on to... a tank already hit several times still has the same MMW radar signature because a small hole in its side does not change its radar signature.

For that matter the sun shining on a rock during the heat of the day can look like a tank with its engine running.... a heat source is a heat source.

In comparison the Vikhr can pretty much be aimed at anything with an IR or radar signature or not. It can be aimed at the third window on the fourth floor in a 15 story building, or a log bunker... or the top of a tree.

Vikhr is much cheaper because it is fire and forget but the launch aircraft is safer because of the missile range and speed.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Prototype Mil-28NM completed it's first test flight.

MOSCOW, October 12 -. RIA Novosti pilot batch of modernized attack helicopters "Night Hunter" Mi-28NM will go into production in 2018, told reporters on Wednesday the general director of "Helicopters of Russia" Alexander Mikheyev.

"An experienced pilot batch will have in 2018," - he said, responding to a question.

So far built only one prototype, which made its first flight today.

When you create a Mi-28nm designers was taken into account the experience of the development of training and combat Mi-28UB: in the front cabin of the new helicopter has a second set of controls. On sighting the helicopter as a new-flight control and navigation system has been installed, equipped with computing means increased performance. Cabin crew reliable armored, that provides protection against armor-piercing bullets and projectiles caliber 20 mm.

In addition, the modernization undergone cabin crew commander and pilot-operator will now receive a more complete and accessible information on the environment and the operation of all vehicle systems that facilitate collaboration and accelerate decision-making in the field.

Also, a helicopter equipped with advanced radar nadvtulochnoy has enhanced capabilities in the use of precision weapons, including homing missiles, the use of which can significantly reduce the time spent combat helicopter in potentially hazardous situations.

Among the advantages of the helicopter - the resistance to combat damage, which is achieved through the use of new materials and design solutions. The main rotor blades of the helicopter are made of composite materials that allows you to safely complete the flight when hit by 20-30 mm caliber shells. The design of the fuel system excludes explosion or ignition of the fuel.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm