Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3569
    Points : 3653
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  medo on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 pm

    Looks like small stealth gliding bombs and missiles. Russia is learning from Israel for massive attacks with small stealth bombs. They should made kamikaze drons as well to attack enemy air defense complexes.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3653
    Points : 3645
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Isos on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm

    medo wrote:Looks like small stealth gliding bombs and missiles. Russia is learning from Israel for massive attacks with small stealth bombs. They should made kamikaze drons as well to attack enemy air defense complexes.

    They have modernized su-25 with kh-31 specially made for that role.

    Those israeli tactics are good against destroyed country/army. A big country needs thousands of kalibr instead stupid drones. The first who shot successfully its cruise missiles wins. By cruise missile I mean something with more than 1500km range. Suicide drones with range less than 100km are useless.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3653
    Points : 3645
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Isos on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:11 pm

    https://mobile.twitter.com/warsmonitoring/status/1089981685310124033

    Picture of a russian drone that launches hand grenades from a weapon bay. Was already tested. Can someone post the image here ?
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  dino00 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:42 pm

    Isos wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/warsmonitoring/status/1089981685310124033

    Picture of a russian drone that launches hand grenades from a weapon bay. Was already tested. Can someone post the image here ?


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Img_2018

    avatar
    ATLASCUB

    Posts : 582
    Points : 592
    Join date : 2017-02-13

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  ATLASCUB on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 am

    dino00 wrote:
    Isos wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/warsmonitoring/status/1089981685310124033

    Picture of a russian drone that launches hand grenades from a weapon bay. Was already tested. Can someone post the image here ?


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Img_2018

    This made me laugh....

    "Grenade!!!!!!!!"
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 3715
    Points : 3697
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  miketheterrible on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 am

    Others do the same thing. So a small drone to drop on units gathered, isn't that bad of an idea.  But I don't see much need for it.

    I can see comments are just retarded people, not knowing that all these drones are from different companies.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2192
    Points : 2190
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 43
    Location : Merkelland

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Hole on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 am

    This drone is called Karnivora.
    avatar
    ATLASCUB

    Posts : 582
    Points : 592
    Join date : 2017-02-13

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  ATLASCUB on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:23 pm

    Hole wrote:This drone is called Karnivora.

    Nice. Cool
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21473
    Points : 22023
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:07 am


    This made me laugh....

    "Grenade!!!!!!!!"

    Others do the same thing. So a small drone to drop on units gathered, isn't that bad of an idea.  But I don't see much need for it.

    I can see comments are just retarded people, not knowing that all these drones are from different companies.

    Lets be honest... if it was an american idea the munitions it drops would be custom designed precision made with an expensive fuse for airburst at specific altitudes.

    The system would be enormously expensive... and would need to be kept in a tent when it gets cold.
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  dino00 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am

    Carnivora UAV
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2192
    Points : 2190
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 43
    Location : Merkelland

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Hole on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am

    This drone is like a RPK dispenser than can land and be re-loaded.

    Interesting launch method.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21473
    Points : 22023
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 pm

    Shame the video only shows the use of the hand grenades and not the anti armour or anti personel munitions.

    The hand grenades have 4-5 second fuses so would need to be dropped from very specific altitudes and flight speeds... with Betab munitions they could be dropped from almost any height.

    The capture of an enemy drone is interesting... clever idea in that it limits collateral damage even if the target drone is armed... wrapped in a net it will be unable to launch or release weapons effectively.
    avatar
    ATLASCUB

    Posts : 582
    Points : 592
    Join date : 2017-02-13

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  ATLASCUB on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm

    dino00 wrote:Carnivora UAV

    That's a nice promo. Would have been great with a Lockheed Martin marketing voiceover. I'm pretty sure they can fit quite a bit of marketing buzzwords in there... like Garry alluded to.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21473
    Points : 22023
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:27 am

    This drone is like a RPK dispenser than can land and be re-loaded.

    That would be the KGMU-2 pod... looks like a cluster bomb but is not dropped... it releases its cluster munitions but stays attached to the aircraft and gets reloaded and reused... you just fill it up with the submunitions you want and you are ready to go.

    I seem to remember the Tornado having two optional systems that were similar... one fired munitions out sideways and the other launched them straight down...
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 201
    Points : 207
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  marcellogo on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 am

    GarryB wrote:
    This drone is like a RPK dispenser than can land and be re-loaded.

    That would be the KGMU-2 pod... looks like a cluster bomb but is not dropped... it releases its cluster munitions but stays attached to the aircraft and gets reloaded and reused... you just fill it up with the submunitions you want and you are ready to go.

    I seem to remember the Tornado having two optional systems that were similar... one fired munitions out sideways and the other launched them straight down...

    Yes, German MW-1 (used by Italians also) and British JP-233 (used by Saudi also) they were discontinued both for legal (ottawa treaty) than operative reasons (passing over an enemy airport to deliver them was deemed too risky).
    avatar
    Austin

    Posts : 7316
    Points : 7713
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Austin on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:14 am

    The image of the first hypersonic space drone in Russia has appeared

    https://ria.ru/20190204/1550328563.html?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 1550323195_0_0_3405_2048_1440x900_80_0_1_3c640f33a45f807e0b3525fc038eba31


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 1550323300_0:0:3114:2048_1440x900_80_0_1_d43dacb4d50dfd683b53b0a7a823936d


    MOSCOW, February 4 - RIA News . RIA Novosti has at its disposal an image of a model of the first in Russia reusable aircraft designed for flying in the atmosphere and space at hypersonic speeds.
    The photo shows a single-engine UAV, which is a prototype of a promising reusable aircraft. The second image, also available to RIA Novosti, shows the scheme of launching this unit into orbit and its return to earth using parachutes.
    Earlier in the Skolkovo Foundation, RIA Novosti reported that the reusable flight demonstrator developed by ISON in the interests of Roskosmos is equipped with its own propulsion system to disperse to the required speeds and uses an aircraft carrier at the initial stage of flight. This makes it reusable and makes it possible to repeat the tests and improve the quality of preliminary flight testing.

    According to the agency, General Director of JSC "ISON" Yuri Bakhvalov, for the production of this aircraft will be used only serial components manufactured in Russia, and the engine will receive a UAV from the upper stage "Briz-M" - 14D30. The interviewee said that the use of the device for percussion purposes is not planned. And answering the question of whether this UAV will be offered for export, he noted that "today experiments are planned in the interests of foreign customers."

    "In 2023, it is planned to conduct five flight tests of a prototype using an aircraft carrier, which will be M-55 Geofizika," said Bakhvalov, speaking about the timing of this project.It is assumed that the device will be able to fly at altitudes of up to 160 kilometers at speeds of 7 max or bring the spacecraft into orbit up to 500 kilometers. Each such hypersonic device is designed for at least 50 flights.

    At the development stage from 2015 to 2017, the project attracted 25 million rubles from a private investor of the Project Technika Corporation, and received a grant from the Skolkovo Foundation in the amount of 30 million rubles. At the moment, there is an active preparation for the implementation of the second stage of work, the cost of which will be 280 million rubles. In addition to the grant from the Skolkovo Foundation, which may amount to 120 million rubles, the company plans to attract co-investors in the amount of 160 million rubles. Currently, there is a private co-investor with a financing volume of 80 million rubles.

    In the framework of the project, in 2017–2018 a program of aerodynamic tests was developed, an aerodynamic model was made, which was tested in wind tunnels at speeds of up to 4 max. In addition to the Roscosmos license, an international quality management system certificate was received for the development and creation of rocket and space technology.


    It is assumed that during the implementation of the second stage of testing (2019-2021), technical documentation for the aircraft, ground complex and mock-ups for testing will be developed, production prepared, a layout made and dynamic tests carried out. The third stage (2021-2023) will include the manufacture of mock-ups and testing with them, the preparation of the flight base and the carrier aircraft, the manufacture of a standard aircraft and the conduct of five flight tests using the carrier aircraft.

    Corporation "Project Engineering" is engaged in the production of specialized mobile equipment and electrical engineering. The products of the corporation are represented in 21 countries of the world as independent products and complexes, or as part of air defense and electronic warfare complexes. For certain types of initiative-developed products, the corporation is the only supplier of the Russian Ministry of Defense.


    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  dino00 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:48 pm

    Source: on the Russian drone "Orion" tested weapons in 2018

    TASS interviewer did not specify what brand of ammunition in question

    MOSCOW, February 5. / TASS /. On the Russian unmanned aerial vehicle of the long duration of the Orion flight, developed by the Kronstadt group, the armament was tested in 2018. This was announced on Tuesday by a TASS source in the military-industrial complex

    "With the UAV, the Orion bombs were used for testing. This happened last year," the agency’s source said. He did not specify what brand of ammunition in question. The interlocutor added that Orion was also tested in Syria, but without armament, but as an intelligence apparatus.

    In the Kronstadt group, TASS did not comment on the information provided by the source.

    In 2017, at the military-technical forum "Army-2017", OKB Aviaavtomatika LLC presented a line of aircraft weapons for UAVs from three types of ammunition weighing 25-50 kg. The family of ammunition is built on a modular principle with a single constructive base. The developer’s stated launch range is up to 100 km. At the same time, it was reported that ammunition participated in tests on one of the "large" domestic UAVs.

    Already at the Army-2018 forum, the Kronstadt group also demonstrated the Orion control unit for weapons and a prototype of its own design of mass up to 50 kg.

    More
    https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6078074
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  dino00 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 pm

    Austin wrote:The image of the first hypersonic space drone in Russia has appeared

    https://ria.ru/20190204/1550328563.html?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 1550323195_0_0_3405_2048_1440x900_80_0_1_3c640f33a45f807e0b3525fc038eba31


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 1550323300_0:0:3114:2048_1440x900_80_0_1_d43dacb4d50dfd683b53b0a7a823936d


    MOSCOW, February 4 - RIA News . RIA Novosti has at its disposal an image of a model of the first in Russia reusable aircraft designed for flying in the atmosphere and space at hypersonic speeds.
    The photo shows a single-engine UAV, which is a prototype of a promising reusable aircraft. The second image, also available to RIA Novosti, shows the scheme of launching this unit into orbit and its return to earth using parachutes.
    Earlier in the Skolkovo Foundation, RIA Novosti reported that the reusable flight demonstrator developed by ISON in the interests of Roskosmos is equipped with its own propulsion system to disperse to the required speeds and uses an aircraft carrier at the initial stage of flight. This makes it reusable and makes it possible to repeat the tests and improve the quality of preliminary flight testing.

    According to the agency, General Director of JSC "ISON" Yuri Bakhvalov, for the production of this aircraft will be used only serial components manufactured in Russia, and the engine will receive a UAV from the upper stage "Briz-M" - 14D30. The interviewee said that the use of the device for percussion purposes is not planned. And answering the question of whether this UAV will be offered for export, he noted that "today experiments are planned in the interests of foreign customers."

    "In 2023, it is planned to conduct five flight tests of a prototype using an aircraft carrier, which will be M-55 Geofizika," said Bakhvalov, speaking about the timing of this project.It is assumed that the device will be able to fly at altitudes of up to 160 kilometers at speeds of 7 max or bring the spacecraft into orbit up to 500 kilometers. Each such hypersonic device is designed for at least 50 flights.

    At the development stage from 2015 to 2017, the project attracted 25 million rubles from a private investor of the Project Technika Corporation, and received a grant from the Skolkovo Foundation in the amount of 30 million rubles. At the moment, there is an active preparation for the implementation of the second stage of work, the cost of which will be 280 million rubles. In addition to the grant from the Skolkovo Foundation, which may amount to 120 million rubles, the company plans to attract co-investors in the amount of 160 million rubles. Currently, there is a private co-investor with a financing volume of 80 million rubles.

    In the framework of the project, in 2017–2018 a program of aerodynamic tests was developed, an aerodynamic model was made, which was tested in wind tunnels at speeds of up to 4 max. In addition to the Roscosmos license, an international quality management system certificate was received for the development and creation of rocket and space technology.


    It is assumed that during the implementation of the second stage of testing (2019-2021), technical documentation for the aircraft, ground complex and mock-ups for testing will be developed, production prepared, a layout made and dynamic tests carried out. The third stage (2021-2023) will include the manufacture of mock-ups and testing with them, the preparation of the flight base and the carrier aircraft, the manufacture of a standard aircraft and the conduct of five flight tests using the carrier aircraft.

    Corporation "Project Engineering" is engaged in the production of specialized mobile equipment and electrical engineering. The products of the corporation are represented in 21 countries of the world as independent products and complexes, or as part of air defense and electronic warfare complexes. For certain types of initiative-developed products, the corporation is the only supplier of the Russian Ministry of Defense.



    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  dino00 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:00 pm

    Concern "Kalashnikov" has developed a high-precision attack unmanned complex "KUB-BLA"(Suicide Drone)

    In the framework of the International Exhibition of Arms and Military Equipment “IDEX-2019” in Abu Dhabi, the Kalashnikov Concern (included in Rostec) presented a new intelligent weapon - the high-precision attack unmanned aerial system “KUB-BLA”.

    Unmanned vehicle complexes of guided munitions are currently one of the most promising areas in the development of unmanned aircraft systems. "KUB-BLA" is designed to destroy remote ground targets. An unmanned aerial vehicle delivers a special load on the coordinates of the target, which are set manually or in the image from the target load of guidance.

    “This complex is a step towards a completely new combat operations. We confidently keep in the forefront among the countries-producers of such weapons, ”said Sergey Chemezov, Rostec CEO. “High-precision unmanned projectile flies up to 30 minutes at a speed of 130 km per hour. The charge on this complex is delivered to the target, regardless of its secrecy and terrain, both small and at high altitudes. This is a very accurate and most effective weapon that is very difficult to fight with using traditional air defense systems. ”

    The advantages of the complex are hidden launch, high accuracy of the shot, noiselessness and ease of handling. The speed range is 80-130 km / h., The flight duration is 30 minutes, the payload mass is 3 kg., Dimensions are 1210 * 950 * 165 mm. Impact drone complex has been successfully tested and is ready for use.


    https://kalashnikov.media/video/technology/kontsern-kalashnikov-razrabotal-vysokotochnyy-udarnyy-bespilotnyy-kompleks-kub-bla

    Video in the link

    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3569
    Points : 3653
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  medo on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 pm

    Russia is developing their own Harpy like kamikaze drones. thumbsup Big headache for US air defense. They will be now also on receiving end of such swarm of kamikaze drones.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4916
    Points : 4948
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 77
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:59 pm

    medo wrote:Russia is developing their own Harpy like kamikaze drones. thumbsup Big headache for US air defense. They will be now also on receiving end of such swarm of kamikaze drones.

    The best is that this is in fact ol' good Zala concept in new edition. Noiseless - electric motor . Cool.


    one of Zala earlier family members, not pocket but suitcase drone ;-)

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 2220682_3




    Last edited by GunshipDemocracy on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2269
    Points : 2360
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  higurashihougi on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am

    medo wrote:Russia is developing their own Harpy like kamikaze drones. thumbsup Big headache for US air defense. They will be now also on receiving end of such swarm of kamikaze drones.

    Kamikaze drones are nothing new.

    ATGM, AA missiles, SAM missiles, cruise missiles,... are kamikaze drones literally.

    The more suitable item in the battlefield should be a scouting drone which is able to replace the human scout team to instruct and guide the artillery and missiles.

    A drone which are able to operate autonomously, with the scouting ability, with this and that sensors and cameras... are too much valuable to be a used only one time... except it is design to destroy a vital target which can decisively decide the outcome of the battle.

    The principle of kamikaze UAV is that it has to be many times cheaper than the target which is intended to be destroy.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3653
    Points : 3645
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Isos on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 am

    higurashihougi wrote:

    The principle of kamikaze UAV is that it has to be many times cheaper than the target which is intended to be destroy.

    Replace tge suicide part of the flight by a grenade launch and you have a reusable cheap drone drone.

    In terms of price even if it is 1 million $ it is worth using it to destroy a patriot radar that cost 100 million. Having such radar destroy means much more freedome for your aviation.

    There is no more cheap anti air systems. They are all f*cking expensive and in low numbers.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3509
    Points : 3593
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  flamming_python on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am

    dino00 wrote:Concern "Kalashnikov" has developed a high-precision attack unmanned complex "KUB-BLA"(Suicide Drone)

    In the framework of the International Exhibition of Arms and Military Equipment “IDEX-2019” in Abu Dhabi, the Kalashnikov Concern (included in Rostec) presented a new intelligent weapon - the high-precision attack unmanned aerial system “KUB-BLA”.

    Unmanned vehicle complexes of guided munitions are currently one of the most promising areas in the development of unmanned aircraft systems. "KUB-BLA" is designed to destroy remote ground targets. An unmanned aerial vehicle delivers a special load on the coordinates of the target, which are set manually or in the image from the target load of guidance.

    “This complex is a step towards a completely new combat operations. We confidently keep in the forefront among the countries-producers of such weapons, ”said Sergey Chemezov, Rostec CEO. “High-precision unmanned projectile flies up to 30 minutes at a speed of 130 km per hour. The charge on this complex is delivered to the target, regardless of its secrecy and terrain, both small and at high altitudes. This is a very accurate and most effective weapon that is very difficult to fight with using traditional air defense systems. ”

    The advantages of the complex are hidden launch, high accuracy of the shot, noiselessness and ease of handling. The speed range is 80-130 km / h., The flight duration is 30 minutes, the payload mass is 3 kg., Dimensions are 1210 * 950 * 165 mm. Impact drone complex has been successfully tested and is ready for use.


    https://kalashnikov.media/video/technology/kontsern-kalashnikov-razrabotal-vysokotochnyy-udarnyy-bespilotnyy-kompleks-kub-bla

    Video in the link


    Not very impressive considering that the Israeli equivalent can go at something like 185 km/h and has an endurance of up to 6 hours

    30 minutes is not long enough to be useful in any type of Air Force operation. This is something that would be useful for the motor-rifles, engineer battallions, etc... assuming that it can be launched from the ground without any complicated equipment and operated from something like a laptop. Would be good for reducing bunkers, fortifications, garrisoned buildings, AT guns, etc...

    Or as GarryB says - for launch from something like a Ka-52.

    higurashihougi wrote:
    medo wrote:Russia is developing their own Harpy like kamikaze drones. thumbsup Big headache for US air defense. They will be now also on receiving end of such swarm of kamikaze drones.

    Kamikaze drones are nothing new.

    ATGM, AA missiles, SAM missiles, cruise missiles,... are kamikaze drones literally.

    The more suitable item in the battlefield should be a scouting drone which is able to replace the human scout team to instruct and guide the artillery and missiles.

    A drone which are able to operate autonomously, with the scouting ability, with this and that sensors and cameras... are too much valuable to be a used only one time... except it is design to destroy a vital target which can decisively decide the outcome of the battle.

    The principle of kamikaze UAV is that it has to be many times cheaper than the target which is intended to be destroy.

    Essentially yes, they are kamikaze drones, but they all tend to go at high speeds and do need their target to be acquired and tracked before launch; even if you do have the option of manually guiding them to an extent or retargeting them.

    A drone is much smaller, and much quieter, with a lower radar signature. They also have endurance, like an aircraft. It can sneak in, identify targets, and then you can choose yourself who to attack, from what angle and precisely when (for co-ordination with other drones)
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21473
    Points : 22023
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  GarryB on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm

    A drone which are able to operate autonomously, with the scouting ability, with this and that sensors and cameras... are too much valuable to be a used only one time... except it is design to destroy a vital target which can decisively decide the outcome of the battle.

    The principle of kamikaze UAV is that it has to be many times cheaper than the target which is intended to be destroy.

    The system shown looks like a system shown for the Ka-52 and was designed to be carried in boxes of 4-5 UAVs that could be released in flight to scout the area ahead... having an endurance of 35 minutes would be ideal, and a suicide terminal phase would solve the problem of recovering such a UAV in the field...

    Such drones could be made relatively cheaply and mass produced in fairly large numbers... and if they accurately hit a target that could threaten a multi million dollar attack helo then they would be well worth it.

    Certainly it is up to the crew to decide whether to send a drone in or to pop up over the hill and have a look themselves... but a lot of enemy activity could make it a suicide mission anyway so sending in a suicide drone lets you sit back and mark detected targets on a map from a high altitude drone or even satellite scanning for radar emissions and small arms fire etc etc... lots of data could be collected as to the enemy force strength and location without risking an expensive attack helo.

    Not very impressive considering that the Israeli equivalent can go at something like 185 km/h and has an endurance of up to 6 hours

    I suspect it is designed to operate from aircraft like the Ka-52 in the recon mission as a tool to search ahead in enemy airspace looking for ground threats and enemy air defence systems... it would get all the small air defence systems to light up and then you could hit them with ARMs while this drone picks one target to take out...

    Collecting data on the enemy... location of positions and strengths as well as what equipment and systems are there... ie radar or SAMs or other things could be monitored by platforms further away like a modified Tu-214 or something... pretty much acting like a JSTARS... it would take a bit of small arms fire to bring down such a drone... lots of wing surface area so rifle calibre holes in it are not going to get the job done very easily....

    Sponsored content

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News - Page 34 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:23 am