Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Su-25SM numbers

Isos

Re: Su-25SM numbers

Post  Isos on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 am

GarryB wrote:Interesting vid of the missile launch fail.

I remember having a discussion with someone on the internet about the cold launch system for Russian SAMs and he was convinced that the cold launch system was flawed because if it was thrown up into the air and dropped down onto the deck such a large solid fuelled missile would immediately explode and set all the other missiles on fire and practically destroy the ship.

He suggested the cold launch system should be angled out so that ejected missiles would land in the water if they did not start properly.

Of course I did not think the cold launch system would fire if there was something wrong with the launch system.

Of course having said that a cold launch system is actually a good thing because this missile did nothing but sometimes when a solid rocket motor fails, it often just explodes, so exploding inside the missile tube would seriously damage the vehicle it is mounted on and risks setting off other nearby missiles.

Having said all that your comments about the rough air field performance of the Su-25 are interesting.

I remember seeing a video done during the testing of the aircraft where they removed the wheels and fitted skis for takeoff and landing in deep mud.... now that was impressive.

The explosion is not really dangerous. They are are not HEAT missile but carries a lot of small metalic fins to dammage aircrafts. There is one of the missile that explodes in the video and it disn t made the other explode.

It is dangerous to move a missile that didnt explode however on a ship because the explosion is dangerous for humans. But the main warehead is hardly going to explode they are not WWII bombs that explode when the bomb isn t moving anymore or made with a timer and mechanical fuser. Most of them are programmed to not explode near the lunch site or for a part of the flight.

Do you have of the video of the su25 ?? That should be awsome to watch !!
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Anyone know approximately the cost of
    Su-25SM ($30mn?)
    Su-25SM3 ????
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 am

d_taddei2 wrote:Anyone know approximately the cost of
    Su-25SM ($30mn?)
    Su-25SM3 ????

25SM and 25SM3 are both rebuilds and not new. The 25SM3 costs were announced as approximately $6.5 ml US per to upgrade a Su-25 to Su-25SM3.

http://twower.livejournal.com/2120002.html
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 am

The explosion is not really dangerous. They are are not HEAT missile but carries a lot of small metalic fins to dammage aircrafts. There is one of the missile that explodes in the video and it disn t made the other explode.

Sorry what?

That missile carries a 150kg HE Frag warhead and yes it would be very devastating if it did explode properly.

In this case nothing exploded.

In the case you mention I expect it was the propellent that exploded.

If the warhead had exploded all the other missiles nearby would also have been exploded and there would have been a huge crater.

A 50kh HE bomb will kill the crew of an Abrams tank.... the pressure wave crushes them but also sets off the ammo inside too.

An explosion three times bigger is a much bigger problem...

No, unfortunately I don't.

I saw the video on a TV programme, but I have seen stills from the video in a book.

Here is a still image:

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:10 am

GarryB wrote:

Sorry what?

That missile carries a 150kg HE Frag warhead and yes it would be very devastating if it did explode properly.

In this case nothing exploded.

In the case you mention I expect it was the propellent that exploded.

If the warhead had exploded all the other missiles nearby would also have been exploded and there would have been a huge crater.

A 50kh HE bomb will kill the crew of an Abrams tank.... the pressure wave crushes them but also sets off the ammo inside too.

An explosion three times bigger is a much bigger problem...

No, unfortunately I don't.

I saw the video on a TV programme, but I have seen stills from the video in a book.

Here is a still image:

That's not only 150 kg of explosives. The warehead is 150 kg, its warehead is composed of some thousands of metal pieces. Most of pilots downed by missiles survived and at altitude the explosives are much more powerfull.

There are lot of video showing IED exploding near tanks ans they survived. The main goal of the explosive is to send those small piece on the aircraft, not to kill the pilot. Im not an expert at all in this field but you can't jude the power of it just by the weight.

There are much more chances in such scenario that just the propellent explode. And thats pretty safe. There was another video of ukrainian toshka exploding and not dammaging the other one that was 10 m near.

That is a very nice xoncept if it could be lunch from the water it would be very usefull so that they don't need airports. Like landing on the water and stoping on the ground so that it doesn t end at the bottom.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:33 am

franco wrote:
    Su-25SM ($30mn?)
    Su-25SM3 ????

25SM and 25SM3 are both rebuilds and not new. The 25SM3 costs were announced as approximately $6.5 ml US per to upgrade a Su-25 to Su-25SM3.

But if Russia was to sell Su-25SM3 to another country? ?
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    franco wrote:
    Su-25SM ($30mn?)
    Su-25SM3 ????

Not sure of a price but they would have to take the aircraft from their stock so until a replacement is found probably is not happening. They may upgrade the customers present stock and I'm sure the price would be higher then $6.5 ml.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:46 pm

franco wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    franco wrote:
    Su-25SM ($30mn?)
    Su-25SM3 ????

Not sure of a price but they would have to take the aircraft from their stock so until a replacement is found probably is not happening. They may upgrade the customers present stock and I'm sure the price would be higher then $6.5 ml.

Isn't there any in reserve? I thought only so much of the fleet were being upgraded
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm

The VKS maintains 10 operational squadrons presently, plus some training aircraft, so you are looking at 150-160 active aircraft of which ~ 80 are 25SM. There would be around 50 or so in storage.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:48 pm

franco wrote:The VKS maintains 10 operational squadrons presently, plus some training aircraft, so you are looking at 150-160 active aircraft of which ~ 80 are 25SM. There would be around 50 or so in storage.

Ok so small potential for sales. I think offering upgrades could be more lucrative.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:23 pm