Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Police of Russia

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Police of Russia

Post  Vann7 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:14 am

Asf wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:How that works? Chechenia republic its special police or military receive the same military equipment ,future soldier gear and training than the Russian Federation in moscow ?  For example can Chechen republic that is inside the Russian federation ,can chechen republic its special forces receive Kornets-D missile and same weapons that the Russian Federation special forces and army ,like a T-90A tank?
    Chechnia is a part of Russian Federation. Most of the T-90A are in the Joint Command South, and Chechnia is the part of that Joint Command.
    There are their own ministries of internal affairs (republican MVDs) in federal republics (like Chechnia), which are subordinate to the federal ministry of internal affairs, but still have some degree of independence (locals are on the commanding posts, ect.), and the Army is strictly federal with the rigid chain of command (they are mostly russians from other federal subjects serving in Chechnia, but still there are many local-born contract soldiers). This situation influences on the logistics: local MVD's can buy equipment from it's own budgets, for example, iirc, the Army's supply is strictly centralized with little exceptions (unit's commanders have autority over some common tasks fundings, as I know, but not the munition supply or vehicles).

So are there many chechens that joins the Russian army? or its rare?

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 am

Vann7 wrote:
    I do not know the exact numbers. There is still no conscription from Chechnia and usually you have to serve as a conscript to join the Army later as a contract soldier (but no an officer, officers go in a different path). But still chechens are a bit wild and warlike people (highlanders are all the same), they like to be warriors. And still not that much job in the republic and contract solders do have good salary for a not very reach region (many of them goes to different other regions of Russia for the job though).

I know there are many different MVD units in Chechnia, which consists of chechens only (they fought terrorists primely on they own for the long time), and some of them serves in the Army (there is rumors about chechen-only battalion(s) like disbanded Vostok and Zapad, do not know for sure).

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    Asf wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:How that works? Chechenia republic its special police or military receive the same military equipment ,future soldier gear and training than the Russian Federation in moscow ?  For example can Chechen republic that is inside the Russian federation ,can chechen republic its special forces receive Kornets-D missile and same weapons that the Russian Federation special forces and army ,like a T-90A tank?
    Chechnia is a part of Russian Federation. Most of the T-90A are in the Joint Command South, and Chechnia is the part of that Joint Command.
    There are their own ministries of internal affairs (republican MVDs) in federal republics (like Chechnia), which are subordinate to the federal ministry of internal affairs, but still have some degree of independence (locals are on the commanding posts, ect.), and the Army is strictly federal with the rigid chain of command (they are mostly russians from other federal subjects serving in Chechnia, but still there are many local-born contract soldiers). This situation influences on the logistics: local MVD's can buy equipment from it's own budgets, for example, iirc, the Army's supply is strictly centralized with little exceptions (unit's commanders have autority over some common tasks fundings, as I know, but not the munition supply or vehicles).

They have their own regions military units, I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen? At least was during 2008 war.

Chechens make good mercenaries for Russian's in conflicts. Many were used during the Chechen war against their own, as it was a struggle for power via the tribes as well. And in the future, Cossacks and Chechens will still be used as a form of mercenaries for the Russian gov, which is a benefit over anything else, as Mercenaries are more likely to do the task at hand because they are doing it for moeny over pride, and as well, they are still "their own" so they do not get this entire feeling of being "ruled" over by anyone else. They are given tasks to do, and they go do it based upon how they think is best (which is usually a brutal and less than human like, which I am not a fan of).

this is what I gathered from reading around since the 2008 conflict.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat May 17, 2014 11:58 am

They have their own regions military units, I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen? At least was during 2008 war.

Chechens make good mercenaries for Russian's in conflicts. Many were used during the Chechen war against their own, as it was a struggle for power via the tribes as well. And in the future, Cossacks and Chechens will still be used as a form of mercenaries for the Russian gov, which is a benefit over anything else, as Mercenaries are more likely to do the task at hand because they are doing it for moeny over pride, and as well, they are still "their own" so they do not get this entire feeling of being "ruled" over by anyone else. They are given tasks to do, and they go do it based upon how they think is best (which is usually a brutal and less than human like, which I am not a fan of).

Change Chechens for Scottish and Russia for UK or England and you could say the same thing... The Scots in the British Army aren't all fighting for Queen and country and the vast majority are infantry units AFAIK...

The Chechens have a fighting spirit which can be used... and abused.

They are no more mercenary than any other professional soldier (who also fights for money BTW).

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun May 18, 2014 11:43 pm

sepheronx wrote:I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen?  At least was during 2008 war.

Chechens make good mercenaries for Russian's in conflicts.  Many were used during the Chechen war against their own, as it was a struggle for power via the tribes as well.  And in the future, Cossacks and Chechens will still be used as a form of mercenaries for the Russian gov, which is a benefit over anything else, as Mercenaries are more likely to do the task at hand because they are doing it for moeny over pride, and as well, they are still "their own" so they do not get this entire feeling of being "ruled" over by anyone else.  They are given tasks to do, and they go do it based upon how they think is best (which is usually a brutal and less than human like, which I am not a fan of).

Chechen battalions performed professionally and effectively in Georgia 2008, they successfully assaulted a Georgian unit and took them captive. No beheadings, earcuttings, anything like that. Only thing is that the captives ended up with quite a few bruises but nothing more than that.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon May 19, 2014 2:26 am

Chechens dancing their traditional dance "Lasagne" in Crimea. Supposedly video taken not so long ago.

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 am

I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen? At least was during 2008 war.
    Lol  Very Happy  And don't forget chechen Black Sea Fleet and chechen VDV in Abkhazia.

It's really funny to see how people are scared with virtual chechens sended to own their asses - georgians first, then ukrainian ''national guard' in the South-East.It is worth two wars to earn such a nice reputation
    I can't wait to see a NATO army abandon their position because of chechen horde assaulting their front.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 19, 2014 10:41 am

Actually I should say that in many ways they are like the Gurkas in the British Army... I mentioned the Scottish because the Scottish are part of the UK like Chechnia is part of the Russian Federation and of course Nepal is no part of the UK.

Claims of being fearsome warriors... but in reality they turn out to be dedicated professionals.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 am

Regular wrote:
    Chechens dancing their traditional dance "Lasagne" in Crimea. Supposedly video taken not so long ago.
    There was no snow in Crimea during the separation from Ukraine. You can check photos of the polite people to make sure I'm right.

Last edited by Asf on Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 am

GarryB wrote:
    Claims of being fearsome warriors... but in reality they turn out to be dedicated professionals.
    Chechens of Vostok battalion had great experince of an assymetric warfare, because many of them were insurgents before they turned sides and join pro-russian forces. Nowadays many chechens in internal troops in Chechnia do have good anti-terrorist experience. But most of chechen reputation is about being a ruthless headtaker and a fearless fanatic. Greorgians in 2008 were scared of being murdured instead of being captured by chechens.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 am

But most of chechen reputation is about being a ruthless headtaker and a fearless fanatic. Greorgians in 2008 were scared of being murdured instead of being captured by chechens.

Which is why I mentioned the Gurkhas... often rumour and suggestion make them more than they are. Many Argentine soldiers thought the Gurkhas would eat them during the Falklands war...

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Mon May 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Which is why I mentioned the Gurkhas...
    I agree with you. And don't forget about cossacks  Smile  After napoleonic wars they earned similar fearful reputation.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Vostok troops didn't cut POWs heads, rather gave them good beating, injured their index fingers so they wouldn't use guns when released and exchanged them. Most of chechens there were young guys who never been insurgents before. But there were plenty of veterans too. I can understand why chechens fought Russia on first war and why they joined russian side on second. First war could be way different if Putin would've been president then.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen?  At least was during 2008 war.

Chechens make good mercenaries for Russian's in conflicts.  Many were used during the Chechen war against their own, as it was a struggle for power via the tribes as well.  And in the future, Cossacks and Chechens will still be used as a form of mercenaries for the Russian gov, which is a benefit over anything else, as Mercenaries are more likely to do the task at hand because they are doing it for moeny over pride, and as well, they are still "their own" so they do not get this entire feeling of being "ruled" over by anyone else.  They are given tasks to do, and they go do it based upon how they think is best (which is usually a brutal and less than human like, which I am not a fan of).

Chechen battalions performed professionally and effectively in Georgia 2008, they successfully assaulted a Georgian unit and took them captive. No beheadings, earcuttings, anything like that. Only thing is that the captives ended up with quite a few bruises but nothing more than that.

There was a Reason I added a ?. I remember reading chechen divisions so I figured they were in 58th as they were sent to Georgia, no?

Still, regardless if they acted professional or not, they make good mercs for Russia.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm

You can't really call a servicemen who gave their oath a merc. You would be surprised that most of chechens actualy prefer to live in federation. They have their own control of their country like no Soviet Republic had. They like stability, federal funds and they like to have their say in a country. Their culture is entangled with russian. They like watching russian tv, listening russian music and russian is their second tongue. Clan mentality is becoming thing of the past and mafia are becoming buisnessmen. Now Ukraine looks much worse than Chechnya

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Regular wrote:You can't really call a servicemen who gave their oath a merc. You would be surprised that most of chechens actualy prefer to live in federation. They have their own control of their country like no Soviet Republic had. They like stability, federal funds and they like to have their say in a country. Their culture is entangled with russian. They like watching russian tv, listening russian music and russian is their second tongue. Clan mentality is becoming thing of the past and mafia are becoming buisnessmen. Now Ukraine looks much worse than Chechnya

I cant deny that! Good point.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue May 20, 2014 12:37 am

sepheronx wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:
    Asf wrote:

They have their own regions military units, I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen?  At least was during 2008 war.

Not even close to mostly Chechen. You are thinking of the two Chechen "special" units, but the 58th did not have particularly many Chechens. Or people from Kavkaz in general, at least what the pics showed. That was of course not the entirety of the 58th army, and almost 6 years ago (how time flies).

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 am

Regular wrote:

Lasagna?!?

This is a dance, not a pasta dish.
    Lezginka is the word you are looking for Wink.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue May 20, 2014 12:42 am

Regular wrote:You can't really call a servicemen who gave their oath a merc. You would be surprised that most of chechens actualy prefer to live in federation. They have their own control of their country like no Soviet Republic had. They like stability, federal funds and they like to have their say in a country. Their culture is entangled with russian. They like watching russian tv, listening russian music and russian is their second tongue. Clan mentality is becoming thing of the past and mafia are becoming buisnessmen. Now Ukraine looks much worse than Chechnya

I think the differences that remain are a lot more than you think.
    Clan (family really) mentality is still very strong, as is "non-Russian" sense of identity.

Kadyrov has made the place stable, but honestly, how far can Chechnya go with such a leader....

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue May 20, 2014 7:26 pm

TR1 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:
    Asf wrote:

They have their own regions military units, I think the 58th Army is mostly Chechen?  At least was during 2008 war.

Not even close to mostly Chechen. You are thinking of the two Chechen "special" units, but the 58th did not have particularly many Chechens. Or people from Kavkaz in general, at least what the pics showed. That was of course not the entirety of the 58th army, and almost 6 years ago (how time flies).
    Thanks for the correction. Its been 6 years already? Yeah, time does fly.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 am

SOBR Rys'

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 am

which type of helicopter is this?

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 am

George1 wrote:which type of helicopter is this?

Eurocopter AS355N Ecureil 2 for Police forces (usually).

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 am

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 am

Berkut Special Forces Prevented Bloodshed During ‘Crimean Spring’ – Veteran

A Berkut veteran noted that the Crimean special police force managed to prevent Ukrainian military from using weapons against civilians.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Members of the Crimean Berkut special police were ready for hand-to-hand combat to avoid bloodshed and weapons use during the so-called Crimean spring of 2014, a veteran of Berkut’s Sevastopol branch said Monday.

Exactly one year ago, a referendum was held in Crimea in which more than 96 percent voted for the peninsula to secede from Ukraine and rejoin Russia.

As anti-Ukrainian sentiment rose in the region, the Crimean branch of Ukraine’s Berkut force helped ensure the safety of local residents.

“I can tell you that our group, leaving the north of Crimea, agreed that we would not use weapons first under any circumstances, meaning that the use of weapons was possible only if one of our fighters was injured, or, God forbid, mortally wounded. We were ready to fight hand-to-hand, but not shoot,” Roman Efremenko told RIA Novosti.

However, Berkut was forced to make a few warning shots when two buses carrying members of the far-right Right Sector group attempted to enter Crimea, he said.

The Berkut veteran noted that the Crimean special police force managed to prevent Ukrainian military from using weapons against civilians.

“We had information that Ukrainian military units were taking out arms and getting ready to use them against the civilian population,” he said, adding that Berkut’s Alpha unit ensured that this weaponry was not used.

According to Efremenko, the situation was tense, and Ukrainian forces asked for Berkut not to attack. The Crimean special police force only smiled at these requests, he said, as they lacked the resources to do so.

“We had only two or three ammunition magazines for six fighters. So we played along with them,” he explained.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a reunification treaty with representatives of Crimea on March 18, 2014. The treaty was shortly approved by the Russian parliament and signed into law, and the Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol were officially recognized as federal subjects of Russia.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150316/1019560370.html#ixzz3UatGADyr

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:09 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 pm