Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Japan Defence News

    Share
    avatar
    OminousSpudd

    Posts : 901
    Points : 918
    Join date : 2015-01-02
    Age : 22
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  OminousSpudd on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:36 pm

    Scuffle in Japan's Parliamentary Upper House over new legislation approving the use of armed forces abroad:


    This is really an interesting development, where's the discussion guys?
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16882
    Points : 17490
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:50 pm

    Don't know which is more ironic... the guy fighting to allow Japanese forces to be allowed to fight overseas, or the guy fighting to stop it...

    When does ironic become moronic...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:23 am

    GarryB wrote:Don't know which is more ironic... the guy fighting to allow Japanese forces to be allowed to fight overseas, or the guy fighting to stop it...

    When does ironic become moronic...

    I do not find any ironic things for those who fight for blocking this passage of bullshit. This is an american canonization of Japan to counter China. That men that fight to block this bullshit are those who fight the fight now to avoid a genocidal and suicidal fight later. We need more men that fight to prevent their countries being dragged into war instead bitch later, "How could we know" or "IF we just knew".
    avatar
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2149
    Points : 2250
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  higurashihougi on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:45 am

    Werewolf wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Don't know which is more ironic... the guy fighting to allow Japanese forces to be allowed to fight overseas, or the guy fighting to stop it...

    When does ironic become moronic...

    I do not find any ironic things for those who fight for blocking this passage of bullshit. This is an american canonization of Japan to counter China. That men that fight to block this bullshit are those who fight the fight now to avoid a genocidal and suicidal fight later. We need more men that fight to prevent their countries being dragged into war instead bitch later, "How could we know" or "IF we just knew".

    The problem here is whether Japan can have an independent armed forces which does not submit under any superpower, or the new rearmed JPN army is just the cannon fodder for the White House and the private market for U.S. weapon companies.

    Previous news about JPN will buy F-35 testified that JPN is still a vassal state of the White House and then rearm or dearm do not make meaningful differences.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 am

    "The Japanese government said Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, it has selected Boeing Co.'s KC-46A as country's new aerial tanker, and plans to begin adding the aircraft to the Air Self-Defense Force fleet from around fiscal 2020. Japan's Defense Ministry plans to buy three air tankers under the country's medium-term defense buildup program through fiscal 2018, which underscored the need to enhance the capability to protect remote islands. "With more aerial tankers, our aerial defense capability will be reinforced," Defense Minister Gen Nakatani said at a news conference.

    The United States proposed a sales price of about 20.8 billion yen ($172.8 million) per tanker, according to the ministry, which will book the costs in the fiscal 2016 budget. Only the U.S. government participated in the bidding through early September. Boeing and U.S. Air Force team successfully completed the first flight of a KC-46A tanker aircraft on Sept. 25, 2015.



    The KC-46 is equipped with the latest and most advanced technology, including a digital flight deck with the same large 15-inch electronic displays as on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The aircraft is equipped with the Raytheon AN/ALR-69A(V) Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) and the Northrop Grumman AN/AAQ-24(V) Directional Infrared Countermeasure (DIRCM) system."


    Source: http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-news-2015/october/2065-japan-orders-three-boeing-kc-46a-aerial-refuelling-and-transport-aircraft.html
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:20 am

    "Japan has successfully deployed all its PAC-3 air defense missile units across its islands. The last two units were deployed to Chitose base in Hokkaido claimed by Website of the Japan Ministry of Defense (http://www.mod.go.jp/e/jdf/no36/activities.html). Kyodo News reported that with the latest deployment, Japan now has 24 Patriot units at 15 bases around the country. These are spread over 6 Patriots groups."



    Source: http://alert5.com/2015/10/30/japan-completes-pac-3-deployment-across-the-nation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10778
    Points : 11257
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  George1 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:33 am



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm

    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:12 pm

    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3261
    Points : 3367
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  flamming_python on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:05 am


    Interesting flag
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:34 pm

    Hyundai begins construction of mini-submarine for undisclosed customer



    Key:
    a) Flexible Payoad Module (FPM)
    b) Integrated sail
    c) Intercept sonar
    d) Hatches for Payload Modules
    e) 533mm (21") torpedo tube (x2)
    f) Conformal sonar array
    g) 324mm (12.75") torpedo tubes (x4)




    Specification
    Length: 37 meters
    Beam: 4.5 meter
    Displacement: 510 tons surfaced
    Speed: Maximum 20 kt submerged, 7 kt cruising
    Operating depth: 250 meters
    Endurance : 21 days, 2,000 nautical miles
    Armament: 2 x 533mm (21") heavyweight torpedoes and 4 x 324mm (12.75") lightweight torpedoes.
    Crew: 10 plus 4 combat swimmers
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 am

    "The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of three unmanned drones worth $1.2 billion to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday. Lawmakers have 15 days to block the sale, although such action is rare. Once the deal has cleared that hurdle, Japan and the U.S. government can negotiate the actual sale. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign arms sales, told lawmakers the government of Japan had asked to buy three Global Hawk drones including parts and logistical support.



    The drones “will significantly enhance Japan’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and help ensure that Japan is able to continue to monitor and deter regional threats,” the agency said in a notice to lawmakers that was posted on its website. Japan has long been mired in a territorial dispute with China over a group of tiny, uninhabited East China Sea islands. In the South China Sea, Japan has been helping build the military capacity of friendly nations with claims to parts of the waterway.

    On Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he may consider a request from the Philippines for large coast guard ships to patrol the South China Sea. The prime contractor on the deal would be Northrop Grumman Corp."

    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-japan-drones-idUSKCN0T92B120151120#6UqxdWji4UJ7502X.97

    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1433
    Points : 1434
    Join date : 2013-02-01

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  AlfaT8 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:45 pm

    Militarov wrote:"The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of three unmanned drones worth $1.2 billion to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday. Lawmakers have 15 days to block the sale, although such action is rare. Once the deal has cleared that hurdle, Japan and the U.S. government can negotiate the actual sale. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign arms sales, told lawmakers the government of Japan had asked to buy three Global Hawk drones including parts and logistical support.



    The drones “will significantly enhance Japan’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and help ensure that Japan is able to continue to monitor and deter regional threats,” the agency said in a notice to lawmakers that was posted on its website. Japan has long been mired in a territorial dispute with China over a group of tiny, uninhabited East China Sea islands. In the South China Sea, Japan has been helping build the military capacity of friendly nations with claims to parts of the waterway.

    On Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he may consider a request from the Philippines for large coast guard ships to patrol the South China Sea. The prime contractor on the deal would be Northrop Grumman Corp."

    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-japan-drones-idUSKCN0T92B120151120#6UqxdWji4UJ7502X.97

    Wait, what, $1.2B for 3 drones that would mean each would cost $400m, unit cost is around $130~225m a pop, so with part and logistics the price almost doubled.

    So here's the thing, weren't UCAVs presented as a cheaper alternative compared to fighters, but from what i see you could probably buy one or two squadrons of SU-35s (even F-22s, please correct me if i am wrong) with that money. Shocked Suspect
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:10 am

    AlfaT8 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:"The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of three unmanned drones worth $1.2 billion to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday. Lawmakers have 15 days to block the sale, although such action is rare. Once the deal has cleared that hurdle, Japan and the U.S. government can negotiate the actual sale. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign arms sales, told lawmakers the government of Japan had asked to buy three Global Hawk drones including parts and logistical support.



    The drones “will significantly enhance Japan’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and help ensure that Japan is able to continue to monitor and deter regional threats,” the agency said in a notice to lawmakers that was posted on its website. Japan has long been mired in a territorial dispute with China over a group of tiny, uninhabited East China Sea islands. In the South China Sea, Japan has been helping build the military capacity of friendly nations with claims to parts of the waterway.

    On Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he may consider a request from the Philippines for large coast guard ships to patrol the South China Sea. The prime contractor on the deal would be Northrop Grumman Corp."

    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-japan-drones-idUSKCN0T92B120151120#6UqxdWji4UJ7502X.97

    Wait, what, $1.2B for 3 drones that would mean each would cost $400m, unit cost is around $130~225m a pop, so with part and logistics the price almost doubled.

    So here's the thing, weren't UCAVs presented as a cheaper alternative compared to fighters, but from what i see you could probably buy one or two squadrons of SU-35s (even F-22s, please correct me if i am wrong) with that money. Shocked Suspect

    Well you know spare parts, maintenance crews training, operators training, ground stations, probably some additional diagnostic equipment and tools... it can grow alot. Also this is thing is supposed to be replacement for U-2 "Spy plane" (even tho there are quite significant issues with that replacement) so its not really UCAV since its not armed.'

    It has synthetic aperture radar, thermographic camera and optical sensors, and already common navigation and communication equipment. Its basically very big surveillance unmanned aircraft (big for fact its unmanned).
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:57 am

    Few cheap Chinese missiles and there goes your 1.2 B$ toys
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:07 pm

    Northrop Grumman Systems Corp., Military Aircraft Systems, Melbourne, Florida, is being awarded a $285,975,244 modification to a previously awarded fixed-price-incentive (firm target) contract (N00019-13-C-9999) for non-recurring engineering and recurring efforts to support the production and delivery of one E-2D Advanced Hawkeye aircraft for the government of Japan under the Foreign Military Sales program.

    Work will be performed in Melbourne, Florida (81 percent); St. Augustine, Florida (10 percent); Herndon, Virginia (6 percent); and various locations within the U.S. (3 percent), and is expected to be completed in September 2019. Foreign military sales funds in the amount of $285,975,244 are being obligated on this award, none of which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland, is the contracting activity.



    The E-2D Advanced Hawkeye is a game changer in how the Navy will conduct battle management command and control. By serving as the “digital quarterback” to sweep ahead of strike, manage the mission, and keep our net-centric carrier battle groups out of harms way, the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye is the key to advancing the mission, no matter what it may be. The E-2D gives the warfighter expanded battlespace awareness, especially in the area of information operations delivering battle management, theater air and missile defense, and multiple sensor fusion capabilities in an airborne system.

    With a two-generation leap in radar sensor capability and a robust network enabled capability, the Advanced Hawkeye will deliver critical, actionable data to joint forces and first responders. These advances provide warfighters with the necessary situational awareness to compress the time between initial awareness and active engagement. Earlier the Japan Air Self-Defense Force bought thirteen E-2C to improve its Early warning capabilities. The E-2C was put into service with the Airborne Early Warning Group (AEWG) at Misawa Air Base in January 1987."


    Source: http://defence-blog.com/news/northrop-grumman-awarded-contract-for-a-e-2d-aircraft-for-japan.html
    avatar
    Hannibal Barca

    Posts : 1241
    Points : 1263
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Hannibal Barca on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:32 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:"The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of three unmanned drones worth $1.2 billion to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday. Lawmakers have 15 days to block the sale, although such action is rare. Once the deal has cleared that hurdle, Japan and the U.S. government can negotiate the actual sale. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign arms sales, told lawmakers the government of Japan had asked to buy three Global Hawk drones including parts and logistical support.



    The drones “will significantly enhance Japan’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and help ensure that Japan is able to continue to monitor and deter regional threats,” the agency said in a notice to lawmakers that was posted on its website. Japan has long been mired in a territorial dispute with China over a group of tiny, uninhabited East China Sea islands. In the South China Sea, Japan has been helping build the military capacity of friendly nations with claims to parts of the waterway.

    On Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he may consider a request from the Philippines for large coast guard ships to patrol the South China Sea. The prime contractor on the deal would be Northrop Grumman Corp."

    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-japan-drones-idUSKCN0T92B120151120#6UqxdWji4UJ7502X.97

    Wait, what, $1.2B for 3 drones that would mean each would cost $400m, unit cost is around $130~225m a pop, so with part and logistics the price almost doubled.

    So here's the thing, weren't UCAVs presented as a cheaper alternative compared to fighters, but from what i see you could probably buy one or two squadrons of SU-35s (even F-22s, please correct me if i am wrong) with that money. Shocked Suspect

    Well you know spare parts, maintenance crews training, operators training, ground stations, probably some additional diagnostic equipment and tools... it can grow alot. Also this is thing is supposed to be replacement for U-2 "Spy plane" (even tho there are quite significant issues with that replacement) so its not really UCAV since its not armed.'

    It has synthetic aperture radar, thermographic camera and optical sensors, and already common navigation and communication equipment. Its basically very big surveillance unmanned aircraft (big for fact its unmanned).


    In my opinion nothing is more overrated than UCAV. Simple RC models that kids used to play with them now rated as state of the art war machines.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:45 pm

    Hannibal Barca wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    Militarov wrote:"The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of three unmanned drones worth $1.2 billion to Japan, the Pentagon said Friday. Lawmakers have 15 days to block the sale, although such action is rare. Once the deal has cleared that hurdle, Japan and the U.S. government can negotiate the actual sale. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign arms sales, told lawmakers the government of Japan had asked to buy three Global Hawk drones including parts and logistical support.



    The drones “will significantly enhance Japan’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and help ensure that Japan is able to continue to monitor and deter regional threats,” the agency said in a notice to lawmakers that was posted on its website. Japan has long been mired in a territorial dispute with China over a group of tiny, uninhabited East China Sea islands. In the South China Sea, Japan has been helping build the military capacity of friendly nations with claims to parts of the waterway.

    On Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he may consider a request from the Philippines for large coast guard ships to patrol the South China Sea. The prime contractor on the deal would be Northrop Grumman Corp."

    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-japan-drones-idUSKCN0T92B120151120#6UqxdWji4UJ7502X.97

    Wait, what, $1.2B for 3 drones that would mean each would cost $400m, unit cost is around $130~225m a pop, so with part and logistics the price almost doubled.

    So here's the thing, weren't UCAVs presented as a cheaper alternative compared to fighters, but from what i see you could probably buy one or two squadrons of SU-35s (even F-22s, please correct me if i am wrong) with that money. Shocked Suspect

    Well you know spare parts, maintenance crews training, operators training, ground stations, probably some additional diagnostic equipment and tools... it can grow alot. Also this is thing is supposed to be replacement for U-2 "Spy plane" (even tho there are quite significant issues with that replacement) so its not really UCAV since its not armed.'

    It has synthetic aperture radar, thermographic camera and optical sensors, and already common navigation and communication equipment. Its basically very big surveillance unmanned aircraft (big for fact its unmanned).


    In my opinion nothing is more overrated than UCAV. Simple RC models that kids used to play with them now rated as state of the art war machines.

    Well there is huge difference between drones we buy for 100$ to play around and military UAVs. Materials, electronics, sensors..engines... and they have proven themself during last 3 decades as very powerful asset.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Werewolf on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:56 pm

    Drones are only useful for intel and other than that they are means of bowback weapon when you use it like americans, kill 90%++ of civilians, those civilians wanting revange are joining terrorist groups and by that they are fueling the opposition forces they are fighting. War in assymmetrical setting can only be won by assymmetrical forces.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Militarov on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:20 pm

    Werewolf wrote:Drones are only useful for intel and other than that they are means of bowback weapon when you use it like americans, kill 90%++ of civilians, those civilians wanting revange are joining terrorist groups and by that they are fueling the opposition forces they are fighting. War in assymmetrical setting can only be won by assymmetrical forces.

    Well Israelis used UAVs with very high rate of success. Also they can be made into various EW platforms, communication relays and there are as you know 5-6 classes of recon-intel gathering UAVs. When its about armed, strike UCAVs i find them very useful as support asset, not real strike platform, noone expects them to win war for you, but they surely can help you alot. Not to mention the fact they are alot cheaper to buy and operate than conventional aircraft and can stay alot longer up there. As everything they have drawbacks but i wouldnt dismiss them like that.

    Also in future we can expect them to be used as payload transport, who knows maybe even medievac, anti submarine...
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Werewolf on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:06 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Drones are only useful for intel and other than that they are means of bowback weapon when you use it like americans, kill 90%++ of civilians, those civilians wanting revange are joining terrorist groups and by that they are fueling the opposition forces they are fighting. War in assymmetrical setting can only be won by assymmetrical forces.

    Well Israelis used UAVs with very high rate of success. Also they can be made into various EW platforms, communication relays and there are as you know 5-6 classes of recon-intel gathering UAVs. When its about armed, strike UCAVs i find them very useful as support asset, not real strike platform, noone expects them to win war for you, but they surely can help you alot. Not to mention the fact they are alot cheaper to buy and operate than conventional aircraft and can stay alot longer up there. As everything they have drawbacks but i wouldnt dismiss them like that.

    Also in future we can expect them to be used as payload transport, who knows maybe even medievac, anti submarine...

    Success in what? Serveillance or killer drones where even more radicall than the US absolutley everything that gets murdered is classified as a terrorist?

    UCAV's do not have any use nor are they any way successful in ASSYMETRICAL warfare, that is murder and always murder, the majority are always civilians and that is beneficial to the jews because they want the entire land and no two state solution and a genocide and reduciton of population is what they have been doing and pursuing all those years there is no sign whatsoever for trying to handle the situation for both sides they want all and more for them only and kill every non white ashkenazi/khazar even ethiopian black jews are subject to genocide by birthcontrol.
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:07 am

    MHI Delivers "Jinryu" Japan's 7th Soryu-Class Submarine

    Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) delivered the "Jinryu" submarine to the Japanese Ministry of Defense (MOD) today in a ceremony held at the MHI Kobe Shipyard & Machinery Works' No.3 pier in Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture. The Jinryu is the seventh Soryu-class submarine supplied to the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF), and the fourth built by MHI. MHI also built the first Soryu-class submarine, and has produced a total of 26 submarines at the MHI Kobe Shipyard over the last 70 years.

    The delivery ceremony was attended by a number of MOD officials including State Minister of Defense Kenji Wakamiya, JMSDF Chief of Staff Tomohisa Takei, and Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Agency Commissioner Hideaki Watanabe. MHI was represented by Hisakazu Mizutani, Executive Vice President of MHI and President & CEO of MHI Integrated Defense & Space Systems.

    Soryu-class submarines are the world's largest conventionally powered submarines. They have an excellent operational track record and are equipped with state-of-the art technologies, including air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems that enable them to remain fully submerged for long periods of time, and advanced stealth technologies that make them extremely difficult to detect.

    Major Specifications and Building Schedule of "Jinryu"
    -- Specifications
    - Length overall: 84.0 meters (m)
    - Breadth: 9.1 m
    - Depth: 10.3 m
    - Displacement: 2,950 tonnes (submerged displacement: 4,100 tonnes)
    - Main engine: Diesel-Stirling-electric, one shaft
    - Maximum output: 8,000 PS
    - Maximum speed: 20 knots
    - Complement: about 65
    - Armament and other equipment: Torpedo tubes, snorkel, submarine sonar system, etc.
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 am

    US Sailor Indicted in Okinawa Rape Case

    A US sailor was indicted in Japan on Friday for allegedly raping a Japanese woman on Okinawa, according to reports, in a case that could further increase tensions over the American military presence on the fortified island.

    Okinawa was the site of a brutal World War II battle between Japan and the United States but is now considered a strategic linchpin supporting the two countries' decades-long security alliance.

    More than half of the 47,000 American military personnel in Japan are stationed there and rapes and other crimes by US service personnel have sparked local protests in the past.

    The Naha district public prosecutors office on the island charged Justin Castellanos, 24, stationed at the US Marine Corps Camp Schwab base on the island, with the alleged crime, Jiji Press and other media reported.

    Castellanos was arrested last month for allegedly raping a Japanese tourist while she was unconscious at a hotel in the Okinawan capital city of Naha, police said.

    A prosecution office spokesman declined to confirm the indictment by phone to AFP, while confirmation from the US Navy in Japan was not immediately available.

    A brutal 1995 abduction and rape of a 12-year-old girl on Okinawa by three US servicemen sparked massive protests, prompting Washington to pledge efforts to strengthen troop discipline to prevent such crimes and reduce its footprint on the island.

    But continued crimes by US personnel remain an irritant in Japan-US relations and a rallying point for Okinawans and others in Japan opposed to the bases on the crowded island, where pacifist sentiment runs high.

    Okinawa makes up less than one percent of Japan's total land area but is home to about 75 percent of US military bases in the country.

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10778
    Points : 11257
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  George1 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 am

    Japan ordered 30 armored amphibious AAV7A1

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1845781.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  max steel on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 pm

    Japan provides details of Soryu-class submarine offered to Australia

    Some technical information on the modified Soryu-class submarine proposed by Japan for Australia's AUD50 billion (USD37 billion) Future Submarine programme has been revealed for the first time to correct what the Japanese embassy described as erroneous information related to the Soryu's specifications and capabilities.

    The details were included in an unusual statement sent by Japanese ambassador Sumio Kusaka to the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) and to specialist media, including IHS Jane's .

    According to the statement, concerns that the Soryu would not be able to meet the Australian cruising range requirements were unfounded; the fuel load would be increased by extending the hull and re-designing the positioning of fuel tanks.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Japan Defence News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:52 am