Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Viktor

Re: Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Post  Viktor on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

zg18

Post  zg18 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 am

http://azlok.livejournal.com/842049.html

VDV equipment for Syria? BMD-2 and Nona?

The guy who took fotos says , there are airborne troopers besides marines on board of BDKs. Any additional info?

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Very nice, thanks for sharing  Smile 
    But are we absolutely sure that those vehicles are Russian VDV's? I mean, the uncovered BMD looks very clean, like brand new...
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Who else could they be for?

They have been modernizing/capremonting a bunch of BMDs lately, could be those.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:46 pm

TR1 wrote:Who else could they be for?

They have been modernizing/capremonting a bunch of BMDs lately, could be those.

They could also be destined for Syrian army, compactness and high P/W ratio could theorically make them pretty capable SF support vehicles. Just speculating...
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:02 pm

They are also paper armored, and in general far less suitable to the rigors of sustained urban war than BMP-2.

I would be shocked if when they finally decided to send armor to Syria, it would be BMDs!

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm

TR1 wrote:They are also paper armored, and in general far less suitable to the rigors of sustained urban war than BMP-2.

I would be shocked if when they finally decided to send armor to Syria, it would be BMDs!

I have explicibly stated that they could be used for SF support  Neutral 
    And that wouldn't be urban combat, but rather, operations in the countryside.
    Remember those ambushes of SAA coming from time to time. How much you wanna bet, that those are specops work?  Smile 
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

I just don't see how it would be any better than BMP-2 in this scenario. Practically speaking BMD is no more mobile in the type of environment the Syrians would use it.

The whole point of the vehicle is air-drop, it sacrifices a lot to get that. BMP simply doesn't have to make that sacrifice.

Remember in A-stan the VDV used BMDs exactly for ambush type scenarios and such, but replaced them with BMPs as time went on, simply because they were sturdier vehicles that held up better to the tough terrain.
    BMD is just too light.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:49 pm

TR1 wrote:I just don't see how it would be any better than BMP-2 in this scenario. Practically speaking BMD is no more mobile in the type of environment the Syrians would use it.

The whole point of the vehicle is air-drop, it sacrifices a lot to get that. BMP simply doesn't have to make that sacrifice.

Remember in A-stan the VDV used BMDs exactly for ambush type scenarios and such, but replaced them with BMPs as time went on, simply because they were sturdier vehicles that held up better to the tough terrain.
    BMD is just too light.

I think, that Syrian environment isn't nearly as rough as Afghanistan... heck, only western part has mountaneous terrain in the first place, so, not really comparable.
    Syria:
    http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_asia/maps_of_syria/detailed_topography_map_of_syria.jpg

And Afghan
    http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/images/maps/AfghanistanRelief.png
    Compared to BMP, BMD is faster, has better fuel efficiency, is harder to spot, while having the same firepower.
    And besides, motorized SF uses technicals and light jeeps anyway, so, that paperthin armor would actually be an improvement, don't you think? Smile
    zg18

Post  zg18 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:20 pm

etaepsilonk wrote:And besides, motorized SF uses technicals and light jeeps anyway, so, that paperthin armor would actually be an improvement, don't you think? Smile

You do have a point.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:37 am

I don't think they would send BMDs to Syria unless the VDV wanted to use them themselves.

As TR-1 pointed out the BMDs are very light vehicles and in Afghanistan the VDV rapidly swapped them for BMP-2s as quickly as they could... it has better armour, better fire power with more ammo and more room for troops and is available in up armoured models.

Don't get me wrong, the BMDs are light enough to be air transported and dropped so most of the time the choice is BMD or truck or jeep so the BMD is superior to these alternatives, but shipped to Syria I would say an up armoured BMP-2 and BMP-3M would be more useful.. especially the latter with its 100mm gun.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 am

Apparently the deliveries (incl. armoured vehicles) have been increasing lately...

In recent weeks Russia has stepped up supplies of military gear to Syria, including armored vehicles, drones and guided bombs, boosting President Bashar Assad just as rebel infighting has weakened the insurgency against him, sources with knowledge of the deliveries say.

"Dozens of Antonov 124s [transport planes] have been bringing in armored vehicles, surveillance equipment, radars, electronic warfare systems, spare parts for helicopters, and various weapons including guided bombs for planes," a Middle East security source said.

"Russian advisers and intelligence experts have been running observation UAVs around the clock to help Syrian forces track rebel positions, analyze their capabilities, and carry out precision artillery and air force strikes against them," said the source, who declined to be identified.

Vyacheslav Davidenko, spokesman for Russia's arms export monopoly Rosoboronexport, said they could not comment on arms deliveries to Syria.

Russia Increasing Military Equipment Deliveries to Syria, Sources Say

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

OK, let's consider this:
    If bmps are far more useful, than bmds, then what the heck are bmds doing in syrian port?  Rolling Eyes 

Coz with peacekeeping operations, you mostly see Russkies with BTRs, trucks, and occasional bmp-1. And for usual sentry duty, that peacekeepers mostly do, it's not like you need much more, especially NONAs  Rolling Eyes 
    And what's the point of using nonas in peacekeeping, what those Russians are gonna do, storm Aleppo?

To further support my theory, I must mention, that if Russia decides to support Syria militarily, most Syrian units, let's be frank, are useless for more sophisticated operations, which would require such sophisticated equipment. And that leaves only elite units, Republican guard, special forces.
    I wonder how suck crack units would utilize VERY compact, VERY mobile, VERY cross-country-able, and IFV level firepower vehicle??

Maybe to roam countryside, attack isolated FSA checkpoints, interdict supply convoys, do reconaissance for airforce and BM force, ambushes?

And I remind you that quite a few post Soviet countries (such as Moldova) actually uses BMDs despite having no airborne force....

To answer Garry's quiestion about Afghanistan, again, terrain in this country is very rocky. Then BMDs were going through such terrain, especially at high speed, they risked having their thin hulls penetrated by edgey rocks. However, in Syria, terrain is MUCH less maountaneous, and pretty much in western part anyway.

Now, of course, I don't deny, that for day-to-day use, BMPs (and BTRs) are far more suitable. However, for specialized ambushes, hit-and-run operations, and so on, BMD is much better.
    medo

Post  medo on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Doesn't naval infantry also use those Nonas as VDV?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 am

OK, let's consider this:
    If bmps are far more useful, than bmds, then what the heck are bmds doing in syrian port?

More to the point the exposed model in the photo with optics boxes on the roof of a turret but no obvious armament are the secret recon versions of the BMD which were not widely photographed even in the 1990s when they tended to show everything else.

Perhaps they are surplus to requirements but too sophisticated to dump?

Perhaps they are forward deploying vehicles there for VDV to use and have likely sent "observers" from the various branches of special forces to help the Syrian government the way the western governments likely sent "observers" to assist the rebels.

They might be there for current observers or future observers.

They clearly don't want their deployment to be a secret as any satellite would see them...

Doesn't naval infantry also use those Nonas as VDV?
    Since 8.8.8 the cooperation between VDV and RNI has greatly increased and AFAIK they actually regularly exercise together.

The thing is that unless they were actually planning air drop operations BMPs would be far more numerous [ie available]... cheaper... and better armoured and roomier.

This to me suggests they are surplus to requirements...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm

GarryB wrote:
    OK, let's consider this:
    If bmps are far more useful, than bmds, then what the heck are bmds doing in syrian port?

More to the point the exposed model in the photo with optics boxes on the roof of a turret but no obvious armament are the secret recon versions of the BMD which were not widely photographed even in the 1990s when they tended to show everything else.

Perhaps they are surplus to requirements but too sophisticated to dump?

Perhaps they are forward deploying vehicles there for VDV to use and have likely sent "observers" from the various branches of special forces to help the Syrian government the way the western governments likely sent "observers" to assist the rebels.

They might be there for current observers or future observers.

LOL... Wouldn't you think, that it would be much more convenient to allow Syrian forces themselves handle the operations, instead of being accused to be "supporters of the evil assad regime" by the west?
    Not even mentioning domestic political backlash, if those forces would begin to suffer casualties.

BTW, thanks for information about recon bmd  respekt  I was myself thinking that something is not standart with that exposed vehicle, but thought it was just me being silly  Embarassed
    medo

Post  medo on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:51 pm

I think we miss anouther posibility. Considering, that in Novorossiysk are both naval infantry and 7th VDV division, they could also have exercises together and VDV training naval shipment as well as naval infantry training para droppings.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm

medo wrote:I think we miss anouther posibility. Considering, that in Novorossiysk are both naval infantry and 7th VDV division, they could also have exercises together and VDV training naval shipment as well as naval infantry training para droppings.

...Srsly? Rolling Eyes 
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Well I for one am pretty convinced these vehicles have nothing to do with Syria.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Bloody hell... I just opened the link and the first word was "Novorossiysk"...  cry 
    medo

Post  medo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 pm

etaepsilonk wrote:
    medo wrote:I think we miss anouther posibility. Considering, that in Novorossiysk are both naval infantry and 7th VDV division, they could also have exercises together and VDV training naval shipment as well as naval infantry training para droppings.

...Srsly? Rolling Eyes 

Naval infantry also do trainings with parashute jumping. VDV and Naval infantry have trainings together, since both are in Novorossiysk. 7th VDV division also do mountain trainings.

etaepsilonk

BMD-2 and Nona to Syria

Post  etaepsilonk on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm

medo wrote:
    etaepsilonk wrote:

...Srsly? Rolling Eyes 

Naval infantry also do trainings with parachute jumping. VDV and Naval infantry have trainings together, since both are in Novorossiysk. 7th VDV division also do mountain trainings.

Border guards also do trainings with parashute jumping. I was saying, that naval infantry wouldn't see the same format para-landings, as VDV.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Great  thumbsup 

- The most pressing question of the previous year - the supply of weapons to Syria. The equipment needed for the operation of the S-300, has already been delivered to the country. When will the end of the supply chain?

- This is a closed issue. I can only confirm that the supply contracts with the "Rosoboronexport" and were continuing.

http://saidpvo.livejournal.com/

Viktor

Post  Viktor on Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Hopefully same attitude can be applied to S-300 systems

Syria Yak-130 is included in the plan
    macedonian

Post  macedonian on Mon May 05, 2014 1:38 pm

2016...that seems pretty far away at the moment with everything that's going on in Syria.
    I'm glad they are going to send them, but in two years time...not sure if they'll have a pressing need for them as much as they do at the moment.

With all that's going on, when I first saw that there's another post on this thread - I was hoping the s-300 are already in Syria...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 pm