Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian arms supplies to Syria:

madball

Re: Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Post  madball on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

Does anyone have any specification about the military equipment the Russians intend to send?
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 pm

madball wrote:http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

Does anyone have any specification about the military equipment the Russians intend to send?

YAK-130 and S-300 are well known as for others we can only speculate. Probably Iskander too.

Prince Darling

Post  Prince Darling on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 pm

supposedly the syrian mig 29s have been upgraded so they can conduct strikes during the night and guided missiles for the migs

but thats twitter sources, not 100% guarranted to be true

par far

Post  par far on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm

madball wrote:http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

I think they need help with their Air Force, so I could see them upgrading Su 25 and Mig 29(which some have already happened). The biggest thing that Syria needs is intellince and that is where I think Russia I'll help them. Russsia will likely send them other things like tanks(t 72), ammo and weapons and political suppport.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 am

par far wrote:

I think they need help with their Air Force, so I could see them upgrading Su 25 and Mig 29(which some have already happened). The biggest thing that Syria needs is intellince and that is where I think Russia I'll help them. Russsia will likely send them other things like tanks(t 72), ammo and weapons and political suppport.

Syria doesn't have Su-25's they have Su-24 which some have been upgraded to M2, they also have Mig-25 but no Su-25 but Su-25 would come in real handy right now for Syria. All their aircraft will need maintenance and could do with some upgrading, if somehow Russia could sell them Su-25 they would come in pretty handy. Another thing Syria is in desperate need of is well trained men on the ground,

par far

Post  par far on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:00 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

Syria doesn't have Su-25's they have Su-24 which some have been upgraded to M2, they also have Mig-25 but no Su-25 but Su-25 would come in real handy right now for Syria. All their aircraft will need maintenance and could do with some upgrading, if somehow Russia could sell them Su-25 they would come in pretty handy. Another thing Syria is in desperate need of is well trained men on the ground,

Would be able to provide these well trained men?
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:08 am

par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

not sure who exactly but just stating that they need them, i suppose more Iranian republican guard would help, also one thing i have noticed here in the UK is the amount of people saying they want to get rid of ISIS but also think that the west supporting rebel/terrorists is wrong, you maybe Syrian army should start excepting volunteers from where ever just like the rebels and ISIS do, so on the back of this i dont doubt there is people around the world who would be willing to fight for the Syrian army/national defence.

par far

Post  par far on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:25 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

not sure who exactly but just stating that they need them, i suppose more Iranian republican guard would help, also one thing i have noticed here in the UK is the amount of people saying they want to get rid of ISIS but also think that the west supporting rebel/terrorists is wrong, you maybe Syrian army should start excepting volunteers from where ever just like the rebels and ISIS do, so on the back of this i dont doubt there is people around the world who would be willing to fight for the Syrian army/national defence.

Sorry, I meant to say would Russia provide these well tranied men?
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:22 pm

par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say would Russia provide these well tranied men?

i am not sure if they could or not, not sure what sanctions have been imposed on the country and what Russia has agreed to, but if they did i am sure highly trained Russian soldiers would turn the tide in favour of the Syrian government, if they did the west still wouldnt send any troops as there is too much opposition from politicians and the public about sending boots on the ground, they wont even send them into Iraq.
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Sending troops to Syria would be pretty unpopular in Russia too.
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:37 pm

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 am

The company that makes those drones could easily be selling them commercially, and flight testing in a real combat zone would allow it to mature more quickly and at the same time help out an ally.

Nothing improves combat performance like combat experience...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm

From Sputnik Arabic - seems that Russia send 6 out of 8 MiG-31 to Syrian Air Force thumbsup

LINK

Hopefully this implies that S-300 could be delivered soon too.
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:04 pm

mack8

Post  mack8 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 pm

BTR-82A in Syria:
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1443859.html

George1 wrote:Another link also:

Russia Sends MiG-31 Jets to Syria - Media

That supposed delivery (or existence of a contract) has unfortunately being debunked as we know from the RAC MiG statement.
    http://www.sputniknews.com/military/20150822/1026049778/no-mig-31-for-syria.html

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

mack8 wrote:BTR-82A in Syria:

George1 wrote:Another link also:

Russia Sends MiG-31 Jets to Syria - Media

That supposed delivery (or existence of a contract) has unfortunately being debunked as we know from the RAC MiG statement.
    http://www.sputniknews.com/military/20150822/1026049778/no-mig-31-for-syria.html
    Just being pedantic, the man at MiG said that they had not supplied them. The Russian MoD has not, AFAIK, commented on whether ex RuAF planes have been sent.
    zg18

Post  zg18 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:18 am

mack8 wrote:BTR-82A in Syria:

Nice!

GAZ Tigr also delivered to Syria

zg18

Post  zg18 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:00 am

Recently spotted cargo ship on Bosphorus strait , on route to Syria

http://turkishnavy.net/2015/08/22/update-the-cargo-on-russian-landing-ship-nikolay-filchenkov/

sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:29 pm

More BMP's and add in technical engineers with older T-55/62 tanks and convert them to heavy IFV's to make them effective. Maybe helicopters too and Su-25's and 24's. Syria needs what they can get. I think it is high time too to build a wall, separating syrian army controlled areas from the rest. And any pockets of resistence inbetween, deal with them.

Russia needs to send more to help Syria.

Ramos 2

S-300 for Syria

Post  Ramos 2 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Why is Russia not providing Syria with S-300 or similar?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 am

It is a forum rule that you post an introduction in the rules and introductions section, please do so now.

In answer to your question, the S-300 is not a magic weapon... the use against the US or Israel would only lead to an escalation that they can't win.

Much more useful would be small arms and ammunition and other kit like protective vests and armour and Su-25 like aircraft and hopefully UCAVs.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:03 pm

An-124 flying to Latakia

What does it transfer?? Very Happy

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm

George1 wrote:An-124 flying to Latakia

Pre-fabricated housing units for the marines seems to be the cover story.
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:50 am

GarryB wrote:In answer to your question, the S-300 is not a magic weapon... the use against the US or Israel would only lead to an escalation that they can't win.

Much more useful would be small arms and ammunition and other kit like protective vests and armour and Su-25 like aircraft and hopefully UCAVs.

It is obvious to me that the US and Israel are taking profit in the area from the fact that the opposed countries have not enough modern air defense. The development of the air defenses in the countries of the area would be bad for both countries and they would have little to do against it. Siria still is one of the coutries that have some air defense, if not the US and other countries would be using their air forces like they did in Libia and Irak.
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:06 am

JohninMK wrote:
    George1 wrote:An-124 flying to Latakia

Pre-fabricated housing units for the marines seems to be the cover story.

T-72's fall into the prefabricated housing category. True story, that's one of the export certificates from Ukraine to Nigeria.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm