Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+53
AMCXXL
Kiko
lancelot
The-thing-next-door
Cyberspec
jaguar_br
Singular_Transform
RTN
marcellogo
owais.usmani
miketheterrible
Isos
Arrow
kvs
archangelski
SeigSoloyvov
ult
dino00
Tsavo Lion
Hole
magnumcromagnon
Stealthflanker
GunshipDemocracy
mnztr
LMFS
hoom
PapaDragon
Svyatoslavich
T-47
ATLASCUB
franco
AlfaT8
Odin of Ossetia
Firebird
JohninMK
Honesroc
ExBeobachter1987
Vann7
nemrod
zepia
flamming_python
collegeboy16
d_taddei2
Viktor
Big_Gazza
TR1
George1
Hoof
Austin
GarryB
USAF
Russian Patriot
Sukhoi37_Terminator
57 posters

Tu-95MS "Bear"

George1
    George1

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 Empty Re: Tu-95MS "Bear"

Post  George1 Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 am

Russian Aerospace Forces get another upgraded strategic bomber

The plane was handed over to the Aerospace Forces on April 4

MOSCOW, April 5. /TASS/. Another Tupolev Tu-95MS missile carrying strategic bomber was transferred to the Russian Aerospace Forces after upgrading, the press service of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) reported on Tuesday.

"The plane has been upgraded within the framework of the state contract. Experts of the Tupolev joint stock company constantly carry out the work to maintain combat efficiency of the Russian Aerospace Forces’ Long-Range Aviation planes in part of the aircraft’s upgrading with more efficient and advanced systems," the report says.

According to the UAC press service, the plane was handed over to the Aerospace Forces on April 4.

UAC reported previously that the Russian industry in 2015-2016 would modernize more than 10 strategic bombers Tu-95MS. Now the Russian Aerospace Forces have a few tens of Tu-95MS the main armament of which are the X-55 strategic cruise missiles. It is one of the world’s most well-known turboprop strategic missile carrying bombers that have been in service for more than 50 years.

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/defense/867440
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 am

Tu-95MS bombers with cruise missiles X-101

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 195378

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2079551.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 am

Another Tu-95MS caught fire

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2197142.html

AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Ok guys, i have been wondering if it's true that the Tu-95MSM can only launch 8 missiles, since the MSM is an upgrade from the MS-16 there would be no reason to remove the rotary launcher, yet i haven't found a source that could confirm this, they all mention the the 8 under-wing pylons, but no mention of whether the rotary launcher are still there, so can anyone clarify this issue?

Post  Guest Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Ok guys, i have been wondering if it's true that the Tu-95MSM can only launch 8 missiles, since the MSM is an upgrade from the MS-16 there would be no reason to remove the rotary launcher, yet i haven't found a source that could confirm this, they all mention the the 8 under-wing pylons, but no mention of whether the rotary launcher are still there, so can anyone clarify this issue?

Rotary launcher is still there.

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 2656534
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 pm

Militarov wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:Ok guys, i have been wondering if it's true that the Tu-95MSM can only launch 8 missiles, since the MSM is an upgrade from the MS-16 there would be no reason to remove the rotary launcher, yet i haven't found a source that could confirm this, they all mention the the 8 under-wing pylons, but no mention of whether the rotary launcher are still there, so can anyone clarify this issue?

Have been wondering the same thing, the rotary launcher is still there but can it mount the new Kh101/102 as they are 1.4 meters longer then the Kh-55.

EDIT: from this article it would seem the bomb bay is not large enough for the Kh101 http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-440.html

Last edited by franco on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:13 pm

franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Have been wondering the same thing, the rotary launcher is still there but can it mount the new Kh101/102 as they are 1.4 meters longer then the Kh-55.

Well, it is still there, but it might be kept to use KH-55 rather than KH-101. But that is just my personal belief.

So they use KH-101/2 on external rackets and rotary launcher for KH-55.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:43 pm

By shear coincidence we have this video and writeup

https://southfront.org/russias-tu-95ms-bear-strategic-bomber-and-missile-carrier/
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 am

JohninMK wrote:By shear coincidence we have this video and writeup

https://southfront.org/russias-tu-95ms-bear-strategic-bomber-and-missile-carrier/

Not a coincidence, i brought up this question up after noticing this issue in there report, i have yet to find a source that can clarify.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:00 am

AlfaT8 wrote:

Not a coincidence, i brought up this question up after noticing this issue in there report, i have yet to find a source that can clarify.

Did you read my link.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 am

franco wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

Did you read my link.

Woow, totally missed it, my bad. pwnd
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm

A bear with a 'friend' Smile

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 C-C_9mBVYAAGgTa
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:14 am

JohninMK wrote:A bear with a 'friend' Smile

Yes, come closer, let me scan every detail, muhahaha. Twisted Evil
    ATLASCUB
    ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:19 pm

JohninMK wrote:A bear with a 'friend' Smile

With those drop tanks..no need to scan much Smile

Won't be long before we see a bulge on the F-22 intakes ala F-18/15/16 mods.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 pm

New capabilities of Tu-95MS with control systems from "Gefest"

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 0_1be520_f0f9f47_orig

In another article by Alexei Ramm and Dmitry Litovkin, from today's issue of Izvestia you can find interesting material about the modernization of the Tu-95MS - the Bears will see the targets behind the enemy's rear. Russian strategic missile carriers are connected to a unique network-centric control system. "

Russian strategic missile carriers Tu-95MS will be able to receive real-time coordinates of targets and immediately destroy them with a missile attack. Such an opportunity will be provided by the installation of a special computing subsystem of the SVP, developed and manufactured by Hephaestus and T. At present, the coordinates of the targets are laid in the memory of missiles at the airfield before the missile carrier ascends into the air. According to experts, the new system seriously increases the capabilities of Russian combat aviation to find and destroy targets in real time.

The principle of the new system is quite simple. Servicemen on the ground with the help of a special terminal transmit the coordinates of the target to the aircraft. The onboard system of the SVP calculates all the parameters and puts the flight task into the head of the missile guidance. And the crew of the "Bear" can only run it.

As "Izvestia" was told to the Defense Ministry, until recently the project of equipping the fleet of Tu-95MS with the SVP system was implemented by initiative of the company "Gefest and T". But now these works are included in the long-term plan for the development of Russian long-range aviation.

In the company "Gefest and T" Izvestia confirmed that the work on equipping the Tu-95MS with the SVP system is underway. But they refrained from further comment.

At present, the Russian SV-24M front-line bombers, Su-33 deck fighters, and the Tu-22M3 long-range bombers are equipped with a special computing subsystem of the SVP. In the troops, the updated planes are called "ogefeshennye". They showed a unique efficiency during the operation of the Russian Air and Space Forces in Syria.

Thanks to the SVP, planes hit terrorist targets with conventional unguided bombs with precision not inferior to controlled airborne weapons. On the ground targets for bombers and fighters are found in the Special Operations Forces. On the electronic map, the soldiers indicate the point to be hit, as well as the target parameters. Then the information is transferred to the aircraft.

According to independent military expert Anton Lavrov, SVP is often considered an ordinary sight. But in fact it is network-centric (when all participants are integrated into a single information system) an automated control system. In the SVP in real time, there is a continuous exchange of information between ground forces and aviation.

"Currently, Russian military aerial reconnaissance vehicles use cruise missiles only on previously detected targets," said Anton Lavrov. - The SVP seriously increases the capabilities of Russian combat aviation to find and destroy targets in real time. Tu-95MS with SVP can be in the air for up to 30 hours and conduct combat patrols. At any time, his crew, at the request of ground troops, will strike high-precision strikes at a distance of up to 1,500 km.

As noted by the expert, "Bears" are needed for operations, when the targets are very far from the airfields of Russian combat aircraft. Tu-95MS with SVPs will be especially useful for Russian military communications in local wars and armed conflicts of low intensity. Also, these machines will be able to effectively support the raids of special operations forces.

Tu-95MS is an updated version of the Soviet strategic bomber Tu-95, adopted in service in the late 1950s. The car received a new wing, as well as more economical turboprop engines NK-12MP. The first flight of the MC was in 1979. And two years later their serial production began.

Until 1992, about a hundred upgraded strategic missile carriers were launched. At present, the Armed Forces of Russia has 60 Tu-95MS. The range of the "Bear" flight without refueling in the air is more than 10 thousand km. Ammunition of the machine - eight cruise missiles Kh-555 or Kh-101.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2693072.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:54 am

New Tu-95MS strike by Κh-101 cruise missiles against targets in Syria

T-47

Post  T-47 Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I'd love to see at least a few Tu-95s are active to achieve 100 years of operational service!!!!!
    Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:28 am

T-47 wrote:I'd love to see at least a few Tu-95s are active to achieve 100 years of operational service!!!!!
    Possible if you start counting by first flight of the design, back in the 50's. But it is still very far away if you start counting when the frames were produced, Tu-95MS are much newer than most people think, it is a deep modernization (including structural) of the original Tu-95, developed in the 70's and produced till the early 90's, so the oldest Tu-95 in service nowadays must be 40 years old (if there is any frame produced in the late 70's still flying), and the newest 25 years old.
    T-47

Post  T-47 Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    Possible if you start counting by first flight of the design, back in the 50's. But it is still very far away if you start counting when the frames were produced, Tu-95MS are much newer than most people think, it is a deep modernization (including structural) of the original Tu-95, developed in the 70's and produced till the early 90's, so the oldest Tu-95 in service nowadays must be 40 years old (if there is any frame produced in the late 70's still flying), and the newest 25 years old.

Yes I am aware of the that time frame. And I am counting it from first flight. Still it'll be an impressive achievement for aviation history.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:11 pm

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:37 pm

I just wanted to ask people's opinion on the rear mounted gun on the Tu-95 is worth having it now? Only use I can see is if it came across another enemy bomber which is highly unlikely.  I thought maybe best just to remove it to save weight and it removes 23mm ammo sitting at rear of aircraft.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 am

I just wanted to ask people's opinion on the rear mounted gun on the Tu-95 is worth having it now? Only use I can see is if it came across another enemy bomber which is highly unlikely.  I thought maybe best just to remove it to save weight and it removes 23mm ammo sitting at rear of aircraft.

Already replied on the Tu-22M3 thread, but would add here that these guns are not for use against enemy bombers... the Bear and Backfire would never come close to western bombers.

Chaff and flare and jammer rounds makes them interesting options and their high rate of fire would give them a small chance against incoming missiles, but not enough to make them worth putting on brand new aircraft.

I doubt they would remove them from existing types... the guns themselves are compact and light and what would you replace that weight with anyway?

On new aircraft they will likely be replaced with small interceptor missiles for self defence from missiles and aircraft.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 am

GarryB wrote:

Already replied on the Tu-22M3 thread, but would add here that these guns are not for use against enemy bombers... the Bear and Backfire would never come close to western bombers.

Chaff and flare and jammer rounds makes them interesting options and their high rate of fire would give them a small chance against incoming missiles, but not enough to make them worth putting on brand new aircraft.

I doubt they would remove them from existing types... the guns themselves are compact and light and what would you replace that weight with anyway?

On new aircraft they will likely be replaced with small interceptor missiles for self defence from missiles and aircraft.

I wouldn't replace the weight with anything it would just be so some weight even though it's small. I agree they would never be removed on Tu-95 now. Also because both aircraft are in separate threads I had to post it like this.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Nuclear-capable Russian Tu-95 bombers in 1st-ever Pacific patrol from Indonesia

https://www.rt.com/news/412367-russian-strategic-bombers-indonesia/
    George1
    George1

Tu-95MS "Bear" - Page 3 Empty Tu-95MS "Bear"

Post  George1 Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am