Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

KiloGolf

Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

Post  KiloGolf on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm

ABs going strong, year after year.

GD BIW gets funding for two more Arleigh Burke destroyers

SEPTEMBER 29, 2017 —The U.S. Navy has awarded General Dynamics Bath Iron Works funding for the planning and construction of two Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, DDG 126 and DDG 127. The contract modification fully funds the two ships.Fiscal 2016 shipbuilding and conversion (Navy); and fiscal 2017 shipbuilding and conversion (Navy) funding will be obligated at time of award and will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.

DDG 126 was awarded under the contract that was part of a multi-year competition for DDG 51-class destroyers in 2013. DDG 127 was approved by Congress under separate legislation.

Dirk Lesko, president of Bath Iron Works, said: "These contracts help to stabilize our business and are welcome news. We are grateful to Maine's congressional delegation and Navy Secretary Spencer for their efforts and leadership."

The contract modification includes funding for the Flight III upgrades on DDG 126.

Flight III will incorporate the SPY-6 Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) and upgrade the electrical power and cooling capacity plus additional associated changes.

As the Navy expects to release a competitive solicitation for additional DDG 51 class ships in the Flight III configuration in future years, the contract award amount is considered source selection sensitive information and will not be made public at this time.

There are currently four DDG 51 destroyers in production at the Bath Iron Works shipyard: Thomas Hudner (DDG 116), Daniel Inouye (DDG 118), Carl M. Levin (DDG 120) and John Basilone (DDG 122).

The Navy has named DDG 126 the Louis H. Wilson, Jr., after the 26th Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, who was a World War II recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Guam.

The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer is a multi-mission combatant that offers defense against a wide range of threats. It operates in support of carrier battle groups, surface action groups, amphibious groups and replenishment groups, providing a complete array of anti-submarine, anti-air and anti-surface capabilities.

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=27266:gd-biw-awarded-funding-for-two-more-arleigh-burke-destroyers&Itemid=257
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:54 am

Off Topic

First of all I am no Russian. I am Polish or Polack as you like say in us right?

rrob wrote:Yea, yea, all Americans are warmongers, selfish, conniving always stealing filthy pigs, etc. yada yada.

Did I say all? did I say filthy ? where? any facts mate or CNN style accusations?

McCain has brain tumor and is a warmonger Y/N?
    There are morons who actually believe US is exceptional and has the right to dictate other its will. Y/N? (BTW I wonder how many of them believe in Superman and Batman Smile
    US is spending borrowed money on monstrous military colonial force? Y/N
    NSA/CIA/FBI is spying on citizens on the whole world Y/N? (and official propaganda says about rule of law right? cbwahahaha)

rrob wrote:
    Tell me, any B52s buzz your west coast neighborhood lately? Lots of nuclear fallout where you live?  

Fortunately I was living under "Russian occupation" and neither US mercenaries nor blackops killers or soldiers did not have a chance to burn villages with napalm or chemicals like in Vietnam. No white phosphorus or concentration camps like in Iraq. Also no nukes like they did in Japan. No thanks. Also not burning over 100,000 civilians bombing Dresden. Aloha

Did I forget something? Ah B-52 were lately over Baltic. Luckily they did not kill anybody. Yet.

rrob wrote:
    Perhaps you would not hate the US so much if you lived here in highly desired tropical paradise

Why should I move where ass sweats and mosquitoes bite? What a Face What a Face What a Face

rrob wrote:
    and had a fabulous 7 figure home sitting of 5 private acres with 8 figure assets all your children professionals with 6 and 7 figure incomes, a 51-foot fishing boat parked in a private slip in Kona, 6 cars, a truck, jet skis, atvs, 4 horses, travel where and when for as long as you want etc. etc. you might be singing God bless America too!

I do not hate america. Stating facts is not hate. 47 mlns on food stamps so I guess not everybody has a 7 figure home , when did you visit suburbs of Detroit or New Orlean? :-)

Off Topic
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am

Perhaps you would not hate the US so much if you lived here in highly desired tropical paradise and had a fabulous 7 figure home sitting of 5 private acres with 8 figure assets all your children professionals with 6 and 7 figure incomes, a 51-foot fishing boat parked in a private slip in Kona, 6 cars, a truck, jet skis, atvs, 4 horses, travel where and when for as long as you want etc. etc. you might be singing God bless America too!

For all the money the US has been spending on killing people around the world perhaps I might respect them a bit more if they spent a fraction on fixing things instead of breaking them.

Glad you are living the American dream, but not everyone gets that... perhaps you have shares in Boeing?

The US has great wealth and great power, yet it seems to continue to use its wealth and power to protect its wealth and power and to prevent growth and prosperity in other places. It seems America thinks it can't be rich and powerful if someone else is too.

Just how you look at things from where you standing I guess. Please excuse the rant, but every post I seem to opine in, it always comes back to the stinkin dirty rotten American's fault and it is getting old fast.

Of course... super power America is a force for good and never does anything bad. It is powerful because it is good and good because it is powerful.

Must be nice to speak for everyone else in the world. I can't even speak for my whole family. But I'm betting many would gladly jump ship for the good life for them and their families. Also, 8 figure assets won't even break the top 10% here, and you would truly be surprised at how wealthy a lot of Americans really are. Lots of poor people in America too, but not so much here in Hawaii. But by all means, no one said to give up your dignity, or your way of life, enjoy, laughter is good for the spirit!
    P.S.there are no villas here or mansions, we just call them nice homes, does not seem to matter.
    Best wishes

Reminds me of a book I read written by a Soviet conscript during WWII. His unit was one of the first that pushed into Poland and he was shocked to find that in the farms in Poland they had paved runs for the cows so they didn't have to walk in the mud. His kitchen floor was a dirt floor in the village he came from in Russia. His only thought at the time was that these people have such luxury and wealth and they came to steal from us?

You talk of comfort... ask yourself whose blood paid for it...

Most of it these days seems to be on credit but eventually the scissors come out and the bills have to be paid.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

rrob

Post  rrob on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am

Y

Last edited by rrob on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:37 am; edited 3 times in total

nastle77

Post  nastle77 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 am

http://pvo.guns.ru/naval/m11.htm

I'm not a russian speaker please need help with this article

my main question is , was the M-11 Shtorm SAM actually a dual role weapon ? can be used in ASUW role as well ?

thanks
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 am

nastle77 wrote:http://pvo.guns.ru/naval/m11.htm

my main question is , was the M-11 Shtorm SAM actually a dual role weapon ? can be used in ASUW role as well ?

thanks

The universal shipborne complex M-11 was developed in accordance with the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of Ukraine No. 846-382 of July 25, 1959. The head of the system as a whole was NII-10 GKRE, chief designer GN Volgin. The TsKB-34, the TsNII-173 guidance drives, the NII-48 radio exploders, the NII-6 warhead, the NII-125 engine charges, etc., were engaged in launchers.

Initially, the M-11 complex with the CM-102 launcher was intended for ships of Prospect 1126. But the works on Prospect 1126 were terminated by Resolution No. 565-236 of 21.06.1961, in connection with which work was stopped on the M complex -eleven. But in a short time - on 27.07.1961 the Resolution of the Council of Ministers No. 846-382 issued on the continuation of work on the M-11, but already for the ship pr. 1123.

NII-10 in April 1962 completed the outline design of the M-11 missile complex and handed it over to the customer. In the process of developing a draft design, it was found out that it is impossible to build an SU M-11 on the basis of the M-1 complex because of the requirement of universality (over surface ships), doubling the range and noise immunity.

In May 1962, after the completion of the preliminary design of the project, 0KB-2 fundamentally changed the aerodynamic scheme and dimensions of the V-611 rocket, which required the complete processing of the SM-136 PU, the control loop, etc.

A new draft project was approved only in 1963.

Fire control system "Thunder"

The "Thunder" control system has two radar homing channels for one purpose, working to increase noise immunity in different wave bands and using a single-pulse directing method. At different frequencies, there are two radar channels for remote control of two missiles. This ensures that it is not possible to simultaneously suppress the two target and two missile channels with a single aiming and moving noise interference of high power.

Antenna post of the "Thunder" system on the "Kerch" BCP in Sevastopol in 1985 ©️ Nelson Photo
    ZRK has an original design of the antenna control system post. The two lower latticed parabolic tracking antennas are mounted on the front surface of large box-shaped containers, in which the radioelectronic equipment of the target and missile channels is located. The two upper missile tracking antennas are installed on top of the containers, and between them is a horn antenna for transmitting commands. In the latest modifications, the horn antenna is replaced with a parabolic antenna and placed between the target antennas.

Anti-aircraft guided missile 4K60

Scheme of anti-aircraft missiles B-611 (4K60) ©️ A. Karpenko

The anti-aircraft missile V-611 (4K60), developed at the CB "Fakel", is a single-stage, solid fuel. The maximum flight speed is 1200 m / s, the average flight speed in the affected area is 650-800 m / s. The starting mass of the rocket is 1844 kg. High-explosive fragmentation warhead weighing about 120 kg is equipped with a non-contact fuse. A missile miss is 40 m (that is, the maximum distance at which the target will be struck with the necessary probability.) Missiles are delivered to the ships in running order, ready for launch, and did not require checks during the entire period of storage on the ship. The ready-made pieces of high-strength steel are used in the combat part.

Launcher

Scheme of launcher of M-11 air defense system ©️ A. Karpenko

Launcher of the M-11 air defense system on the aircraft carrying cruiser "Minsk"

The PU with the storage, feeding and loading device was developed by the TsKB-34 MOS together with the Bolshevik plant, therefore the UE initially had CM indexes (TsKB-34), and then B (Bolshevik). Chief Designer TD Vilkost.

The PU of the M-11 complex was produced in three versions.

On the cruiser pr.1123 are installed two PU B-189 with a two-tier arrangement of storage, feeding and loading devices. On each level there are 4 drums with 6 rockets each.

The device for storing, feeding and loading PU B-187 of ships pr.1134A is single-stage and is similar to the upper tier of the storage, feeding and loading device of the 1st variant.

Large anti-submarine ships pr.1134B are equipped with two PU B-187A with single-stage arrangement of storage devices in conveyor design.

Principle of combat work

An aerial or surface target, taken along the lines of target designation, is continuously accompanied by a two-channel "Thunder" control system over the signals reflected from the target. According to the tracking data, the corners of the PU guidance and the coordinates of the foreseen point of the missile meeting with the target are generated. After launching each missile on the line of command transmissions, request pulses are transmitted to which the transponder of the on-board missile equipment provides the signals, which are followed by their continuous tracking and the development of instructions for the guidance of two missiles on one target.

Testing

Ship tests of the M-11 missile system were carried out on an experimental vessel OS-24, the former KR Voroshilov pr.26, reworked in 1961 in Prospect 33 for testing various types of missiles.

Adoption

In September-October 1967, two serial M-11 complexes were successfully delivered to the head anti-submarine cruiser Moskva, pr. 1123.

Complex M-11 with a V-611 missile was adopted in 1969 and was named "Storm" . Later they were armed with ships of Prospect 1134A, 1134B and 1143.

Training firing of M-11 air defense missile system with BCP "Kerch"
    By the end of the 1980s, the Shtorm was assigned the pseudonym Shkval . In the West, the complex received the designation SA-N-3 "Goblet" (Cup) .

The complex was not supplied for export and did not participate in combat operations.

Modernization

In 1972, the complex underwent a modernization, the task of which was to reduce the lower boundary of the zone of destruction and ensure the possibility of firing at maneuvering targets and after-driving. After modernization, the complex was named "Storm-M" and in the same year was adopted for service.

On ships pr.1134A and 1134B the control system "Grom-M" served not only the SAM, but also the anti-submarine complex "Metel".

In 1980-1986 the complex underwent modernization for firing at low-altitude RCC. SAMs were called "Storm-N" , and the rocket - V-611M (4K65) .

Information sources

A.Shirokorad "Rockets over the sea", journal "Engineering and Weapons" №5, 1996

Petrov AM, Aseev DA, Vasiliev EM, etc. "The Arms of the Russian Fleet of 1696-1996." SPb: Shipbuilding

A.V. Karpenko "Russian Missile Weapons 1943-1993". St. Petersburg, "PIKA", 1993

Orocairion

Post  Orocairion on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:00 pm

rrob wrote:Yep, gotta love those sweaty tanned shapely asses just like last weekend when there were 4  in thong bikinis  on my boat especially while we were getting smashed on mai tais single malt scotch and eating great 2 inch thick BBQ Ribeye steaks and broiled Pacific spiny lobster in the still 80 degrees blue sky of November weather we have here before retiring after watching the sunset on the water for some indoor sports. .

That must be why you feel the need to spend time in a random russian forum...totally living the life...

Or just a load of BS, stuck in your mom's basement.

I remember a guy like you, in an argentinean military forum. He would brag just like you, of how much money and girls he had, on how he was a decorated US military intelligence officer with a borderline James Bond life and would deride anyone who questioned him.

Turns out, the guy got caught in the US with fake military credentials while running away after being accused of fraud in Florida

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/sanantonio/press-releases/2012/federal-jury-finds-argentinian-guilty-of-producing-false-u.s.-military-identification-documents

Bet you are the exact same type of phoney jackass.

nastle77

Post  nastle77 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    nastle77 wrote:http://pvo.guns.ru/naval/m11.htm

thanks

The universal shipborne complex M-11 was developed in accordance with the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of Ukraine No. 846-382 of July 25, 1959. The head of the system as a whole was NII-10 GKRE, chief designer GN Volgin. The TsKB-34, the TsNII-173 guidance drives, the NII-48 radio exploders, the NII-6 warhead, the NII-125 engine charges, etc., were engaged in launchers.

Initially, the M-11 complex with the CM-102 launcher was intended for ships of Prospect 1126. But the works on Prospect 1126 were terminated by Resolution No. 565-236 of 21.06.1961, in connection with which work was stopped on the M complex -eleven. But in a short time - on 27.07.1961 the Resolution of the Council of Ministers No. 846-382 issued on the continuation of work on the M-11, but already for the ship pr. 1123.

NII-10 in April 1962 completed the outline design of the M-11 missile complex and handed it over to the customer. In the process of developing a draft design, it was found out that it is impossible to build an SU M-11 on the basis of the M-1 complex because of the requirement of universality (over surface ships), doubling the range and noise immunity.

In May 1962, after the completion of the preliminary design of the project, 0KB-2 fundamentally changed the aerodynamic scheme and dimensions of the V-611 rocket, which required the complete processing of the SM-136 PU, the control loop, etc.

A new draft project was approved only in 1963.

Fire control system "Thunder"

The "Thunder" control system has two radar homing channels for one purpose, working to increase noise immunity in different wave bands and using a single-pulse directing method. At different frequencies, there are two radar channels for remote control of two missiles. This ensures that it is not possible to simultaneously suppress the two target and two missile channels with a single aiming and moving noise interference of high power.

Antenna post of the "Thunder" system on the "Kerch" BCP in Sevastopol in 1985 ©️ Nelson Photo
    ZRK has an original design of the antenna control system post. The two lower latticed parabolic tracking antennas are mounted on the front surface of large box-shaped containers, in which the radioelectronic equipment of the target and missile channels is located. The two upper missile tracking antennas are installed on top of the containers, and between them is a horn antenna for transmitting commands. In the latest modifications, the horn antenna is replaced with a parabolic antenna and placed between the target antennas.

Anti-aircraft guided missile 4K60

Scheme of anti-aircraft missiles B-611 (4K60) ©️ A. Karpenko

The anti-aircraft missile V-611 (4K60), developed at the CB "Fakel", is a single-stage, solid fuel. The maximum flight speed is 1200 m / s, the average flight speed in the affected area is 650-800 m / s. The starting mass of the rocket is 1844 kg. High-explosive fragmentation warhead weighing about 120 kg is equipped with a non-contact fuse. A missile miss is 40 m (that is, the maximum distance at which the target will be struck with the necessary probability.) Missiles are delivered to the ships in running order, ready for launch, and did not require checks during the entire period of storage on the ship. The ready-made pieces of high-strength steel are used in the combat part.

Launcher

Scheme of launcher of M-11 air defense system ©️ A. Karpenko

Launcher of the M-11 air defense system on the aircraft carrying cruiser "Minsk"

The PU with the storage, feeding and loading device was developed by the TsKB-34 MOS together with the Bolshevik plant, therefore the UE initially had CM indexes (TsKB-34), and then B (Bolshevik). Chief Designer TD Vilkost.

The PU of the M-11 complex was produced in three versions.

On the cruiser pr.1123 are installed two PU B-189 with a two-tier arrangement of storage, feeding and loading devices. On each level there are 4 drums with 6 rockets each.

The device for storing, feeding and loading PU B-187 of ships pr.1134A is single-stage and is similar to the upper tier of the storage, feeding and loading device of the 1st variant.

Large anti-submarine ships pr.1134B are equipped with two PU B-187A with single-stage arrangement of storage devices in conveyor design.

Principle of combat work

An aerial or surface target, taken along the lines of target designation, is continuously accompanied by a two-channel "Thunder" control system over the signals reflected from the target. According to the tracking data, the corners of the PU guidance and the coordinates of the foreseen point of the missile meeting with the target are generated. After launching each missile on the line of command transmissions, request pulses are transmitted to which the transponder of the on-board missile equipment provides the signals, which are followed by their continuous tracking and the development of instructions for the guidance of two missiles on one target.

Testing

Ship tests of the M-11 missile system were carried out on an experimental vessel OS-24, the former KR Voroshilov pr.26, reworked in 1961 in Prospect 33 for testing various types of missiles.

Adoption

In September-October 1967, two serial M-11 complexes were successfully delivered to the head anti-submarine cruiser Moskva, pr. 1123.

Complex M-11 with a V-611 missile was adopted in 1969 and was named "Storm" . Later they were armed with ships of Prospect 1134A, 1134B and 1143.

Training firing of M-11 air defense missile system with BCP "Kerch"
    By the end of the 1980s, the Shtorm was assigned the pseudonym Shkval . In the West, the complex received the designation SA-N-3 "Goblet" (Cup) .

The complex was not supplied for export and did not participate in combat operations.

Modernization

In 1972, the complex underwent a modernization, the task of which was to reduce the lower boundary of the zone of destruction and ensure the possibility of firing at maneuvering targets and after-driving. After modernization, the complex was named "Storm-M" and in the same year was adopted for service.

On ships pr.1134A and 1134B the control system "Grom-M" served not only the SAM, but also the anti-submarine complex "Metel".

In 1980-1986 the complex underwent modernization for firing at low-altitude RCC. SAMs were called "Storm-N" , and the rocket - V-611M (4K65) .

Information sources

A.Shirokorad "Rockets over the sea", journal "Engineering and Weapons" №5, 1996

Petrov AM, Aseev DA, Vasiliev EM, etc. "The Arms of the Russian Fleet of 1696-1996." SPb: Shipbuilding

A.V. Karpenko "Russian Missile Weapons 1943-1993". St. Petersburg, "PIKA", 1993

Thank you I appreciate it, the google translation didnt work well for me
    so I guess it was a dual role weapon ! russia thumbsup
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:34 am

rrob wrote: If it wasn't us, it would be China.  Just the way it is.

Yup, but not would be but is happening  NOW. Cool, I am looking forward to this. China for thousands of years of their  civilization did not move physically beyond the Great Wall not to mention about  genocide and pillaging around the world.

Oh where is superman when the one is needed now at least somebody from marvel to stop communist China  Twisted Evil

I am off from sweety discussion mate and focus on military topics.  pirat

Last edited by GunshipDemocracy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

That must be why you feel the need to spend time in a random russian forum...totally living the life...

Or just a load of BS, stuck in your mom's basement.

He is the ideal American drone... living the good life and does not give a fuck about other people within the system who are not doing as well as he is.

Typical capitalist censored .

I am OK so the system is perfect so no one else should criticise it...

Glad you are happy, but your opinion is broadcast every day on CNN and Fox News, so you really have little to contribute that is new here except that everything in the US is perfect and I don't care what the facts are America is not to blame.

America is the only hyper power.... nobody compares with her... so who else could be to blame?

Whah whah Whah... I want to be in charge but I don't want to be held responsible either...

If it wasn't us, it would be China. Just the way it is.

Yeah... heard that one before too.... if we weren't in charge think how bad it would be with Russia or China or North Korea in charge...

The amusing thing is that you think anyone should be in charge....

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Not sure what to make of this...apparently Russia is working on quiet mini torpedoes that would imitate the movement of fish and turtles Surprised

Russia's New Stealth Torpedoes Have a Neat Trick: They Can Pretend to Be Giant Fish
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-new-stealth-torpedoes-have-neat-trick-they-can-23333
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Cyberspec wrote:Not sure what to make of this...apparently Russia is working on quiet mini torpedoes that would imitate the movement of fish and turtles Surprised

Russia's New Stealth Torpedoes Have a Neat Trick: They Can Pretend to Be Giant Fish
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-new-stealth-torpedoes-have-neat-trick-they-can-23333

Status-6??
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:37 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:Not sure what to make of this...apparently Russia is working on quiet mini torpedoes that would imitate the movement of fish and turtles Surprised

Status-6??

Status 6 is suppose to be huge....the article is about mini torpedoes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:32 am