Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Share
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10519
    Points : 10996
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  George1 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

    Russian naval air defense in trouble

    There have long been reports that the ongoing delays with the commissioning of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate have to do with defects in its air defense systems. These were thought to be primarily related to problems with integration of the Poliment Redut air defense missile system. The Poliment system was designed to be Russia’s answer to AEGIS, with four phased array antennas that are able to track 16 targets at the same time. The Redut system consists of four or eight vertical launch systems that launch three types of missiles. The 9M100 is the short-range missile, with a range of up to 15km. The 9M96M is the medium-range missile, with a range of 40-50km. Finally, the 9M96 long-range missile is supposed to have a range of up to 150km.

    It now appears that the Redut’s problems are much more serious than just integration. A recent report notes that the Ministry of Defense has stopped trials of the system because of continuing problems with the 9M96 long-range missile. Specifically, the missiles appear to fail after three seconds of flight. Some reports indicate that the Redut system works well hitting targets up to 40km away, but fails in the long range. The implication is that the short and medium range missiles work well, but the long range missile does not. Nevertheless, this may be an improvement over previous results, as trials of the Redut system on the Steregushchiy class corvettes in 2014 showed that they were only able to hit targets at distances of up to 15km because the medium-range Furke-2 radar system was not functioning properly.

    Instead of further trials, the problems will now be sorted out by an inter-agency commission, a sure sign that the problems are serious and are not expected to be fixed any time soon. The problems stem from issues at the design bureau, which is reportedly not up to the task of designing a missile with the requirements provided by the Defense Ministry. The Fakel machine design bureau, which is developing the missiles is supposedly in relatively poor condition, using technologies and equipment left over from the Soviet period.

    Redut systems are supposed to be installed on both the Admiral Gorshkov frigates and the Steregushchiy class corvettes. The corvettes that have been commissioned so far with partial Redut systems that are not able to strike long-distance targets. It looks like the Russian military is now facing a choice regarding how long it is willing to wait to commission the already long-delayed first ship of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate class. So far, the Defense Ministry has not been willing to commission the frigate without a fully functional air defense system, though this may change as the delays grow longer.

    https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/russian-naval-air-defense-in-trouble/


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Project Canada

    Posts : 622
    Points : 627
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Project Canada on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:14 pm

    George1 wrote:Russian naval air defense in trouble

    There have long been reports that the ongoing delays with the commissioning of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate have to do with defects in its air defense systems. These were thought to be primarily related to problems with integration of the Poliment Redut air defense missile system. The Poliment system was designed to be Russia’s answer to AEGIS, with four phased array antennas that are able to track 16 targets at the same time. The Redut system consists of four or eight vertical launch systems that launch three types of missiles. The 9M100 is the short-range missile, with a range of up to 15km. The 9M96M is the medium-range missile, with a range of 40-50km. Finally, the 9M96 long-range missile is supposed to have a range of up to 150km.

    It now appears that the Redut’s problems are much more serious than just integration. A recent report notes that the Ministry of Defense has stopped trials of the system because of continuing problems with the 9M96 long-range missile. Specifically, the missiles appear to fail after three seconds of flight. Some reports indicate that the Redut system works well hitting targets up to 40km away, but fails in the long range. The implication is that the short and medium range missiles work well, but the long range missile does not. Nevertheless, this may be an improvement over previous results, as trials of the Redut system on the Steregushchiy class corvettes in 2014 showed that they were only able to hit targets at distances of up to 15km because the medium-range Furke-2 radar system was not functioning properly.

    Instead of further trials, the problems will now be sorted out by an inter-agency commission, a sure sign that the problems are serious and are not expected to be fixed any time soon. The problems stem from issues at the design bureau, which is reportedly not up to the task of designing a missile with the requirements provided by the Defense Ministry. The Fakel machine design bureau, which is developing the missiles is supposedly in relatively poor condition, using technologies and equipment left over from the Soviet period.

    Redut systems are supposed to be installed on both the Admiral Gorshkov frigates and the Steregushchiy class corvettes. The corvettes that have been commissioned so far with partial Redut systems that are not able to strike long-distance targets. It looks like the Russian military is now facing a choice regarding how long it is willing to wait to commission the already long-delayed first ship of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate class. So far, the Defense Ministry has not been willing to commission the frigate without a fully functional air defense system, though this may change as the delays grow longer.

    https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/russian-naval-air-defense-in-trouble/

    Isnt the malfunction supposed to have been fixed according to an earlier post last week?
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4489
    Points : 4662
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:16 am

    George1 wrote:Russian naval air defense in trouble

    There have long been reports that the ongoing delays with the commissioning of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate have to do with defects in its air defense systems. These were thought to be primarily related to problems with integration of the Poliment Redut air defense missile system. The Poliment system was designed to be Russia’s answer to AEGIS, with four phased array antennas that are able to track 16 targets at the same time. The Redut system consists of four or eight vertical launch systems that launch three types of missiles. The 9M100 is the short-range missile, with a range of up to 15km. The 9M96M is the medium-range missile, with a range of 40-50km. Finally, the 9M96 long-range missile is supposed to have a range of up to 150km.

    It now appears that the Redut’s problems are much more serious than just integration. A recent report notes that the Ministry of Defense has stopped trials of the system because of continuing problems with the 9M96 long-range missile. Specifically, the missiles appear to fail after three seconds of flight. Some reports indicate that the Redut system works well hitting targets up to 40km away, but fails in the long range. The implication is that the short and medium range missiles work well, but the long range missile does not. Nevertheless, this may be an improvement over previous results, as trials of the Redut system on the Steregushchiy class corvettes in 2014 showed that they were only able to hit targets at distances of up to 15km because the medium-range Furke-2 radar system was not functioning properly.

    Instead of further trials, the problems will now be sorted out by an inter-agency commission, a sure sign that the problems are serious and are not expected to be fixed any time soon. The problems stem from issues at the design bureau, which is reportedly not up to the task of designing a missile with the requirements provided by the Defense Ministry. The Fakel machine design bureau, which is developing the missiles is supposedly in relatively poor condition, using technologies and equipment left over from the Soviet period.

    Redut systems are supposed to be installed on both the Admiral Gorshkov frigates and the Steregushchiy class corvettes. The corvettes that have been commissioned so far with partial Redut systems that are not able to strike long-distance targets. It looks like the Russian military is now facing a choice regarding how long it is willing to wait to commission the already long-delayed first ship of the Admiral Gorshkov frigate class. So far, the Defense Ministry has not been willing to commission the frigate without a fully functional air defense system, though this may change as the delays grow longer.

    https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/russian-naval-air-defense-in-trouble/

    Your a moderator, you should know better than to post garbage from Dmitry Gorenburg. It's not just me saying this, it's sepheronx, it's kvs, it's big_Gazza. Dmitry Gorenburg is as trustworthy as a Jeffery Damer veggie burger!!!
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3147
    Points : 3270
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  kvs on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:53 am

    Instead of further trials, the problems will now be sorted out by an inter-agency commission, a sure sign that the problems are serious and are not expected to be fixed any time soon. The problems stem from issues at the design bureau, which is reportedly not up to the task of designing a missile with the requirements provided by the Defense Ministry. The Fakel machine design bureau, which is developing the missiles is supposedly in relatively poor condition, using technologies and equipment left over from the Soviet period.

    Smell the dead rat in this analysis. If I recall in the case of the Bulava it was manufacturing defects that were the real problem and not
    performance of the design bureau. Yet here we are supposed to believe what amounts to proof by assertion. The only "sure sign" here
    is that we have blogger crap speculation being passed off as facts.

    Fakel is part of Almaz-Antey as of 2002. The above blogger crap is claiming that Alamaz-Antey is still using pre-1991 equipment. This
    is pure and fetid lying.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugk3Cu5h4kA

    Oh my, so little automation. Almaz-Antey surely must be crap.

    http://soft.bashny.net/t/en/159248

    Is that new NC machinery I see....
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10519
    Points : 10996
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  George1 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:12 pm

    New ship-to-air missile system to be built in Russia — Almaz-Antey

    Performance specifications for construction of an air defense system for surface ships protection is currently being prepared, Almaz-Antey spokesman has announced

    Russian Navy may receive shipborne version of Tor antiaircraft missile system in 2018-2019

    KUBINKA (Moscow Region), September 8. /TASS/. Russia’s Navy is developing performance specifications for construction of a new ship-to-air missile system, a spokesman for the Almaz-Antey defense concern told journalists on Thursday at the Army-2016 forum.

    "The Research Institute of Shipbuilding and Armament of the Navy is currently preparing performance specifications for construction of an air defense system to protect surface ships, in line with an instruction from the Chief Command of the Navy," the spokesman said.

    Earlier, Almaz-Antey said the Navy is interested in an opportunity to build a naval version of the Tor air defense missile system to replace the outdated Kinzhal and Osa systems. The concern said the new modification may be ready in 2018-2019.


    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/898688


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1714
    Points : 1871
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  TheArmenian on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 pm

    Very interesting video

    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 786
    Points : 804
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:51 am

    TheArmenian wrote:Very interesting video


    Yes, very interesting. I suspect the footage of hits against the target ship are likely to be Soviet-era footage? The first looked to be a Bazalt P-500 class weapon, but the later hits where clearly a slower winged missile, and I suspect these may have been a Metel/SS-N-14 Silex in AShM mode?

    Its a pity the P-500 strike wasn't a direct hit. It would have been SPECTACULAR!!

    Anyone know the identity of the target hulk?
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16515
    Points : 17123
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  GarryB on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:07 am

    Nice video... starts out with BAL launches (ie land launched Kh-35s) and then at 14 seconds on shows Onyx in its shore based version. (export Yakhont or Brahmos). Then there is the ship launch of a large missile with two large solid rocket boosters... which means Granit or Vulkan and at 45 seconds or so the very high speed missile blows past the target with what looks like a devastating hit to the ships bridge...
    Then there is a hit in the water next to the target barge by what I suspect is a bomb. Followed by several more attacks with bombs... one of which hits and one lands in the water next to the ship at about one minute 13seconds.

    I suspect the last weapons shown are glide bombs perhaps with GLONASS guidance rather than active homing weapons.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 786
    Points : 804
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:28 am

    Ahhh...  managed to (provisionally) identify the class of vessel launching the heavy AShM.  It looks to be a Pr 1234 Ovod/Nanuchka class missile-boat, and the missile is a P-120 Malakhit/SS-N-9.

    Interesting that the radar for the Osa SAM (in immediate foreground) is turned to face the superstructure, presumably to shield the radar dishes from exhaust wash from the AShM launch.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16515
    Points : 17123
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:51 am

    As subs get quieter opposing forces have to resort more and more on active sonar to find and to attack submarines.

    Having an effective coating that absorbs sound means even active homing torpedoes will have problems finding a sub and hitting it...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10519
    Points : 10996
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  George1 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:33 pm

    Preliminary tests of Russia's sea-based Pantsir air defense system completed — official

    The new weapons system will be mounted on various types of warships, "from small-sized missile ships to big patrol vessels"

    TULA, September 16. /TASS/. Preliminary trials of the Patsir-M anti-aircraft cannon system have been completed successfully, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said on Friday.

    "We have conducted preliminary tests of the sea-based Pantsir, which demonstrated positive results. Now we are to begin official tests. We hope to begin by the end of this year," he told journalists.

    He said the new weapons system will be mounted on various types of warships, "from small-sized missile ships to big patrol vessels."

    According to earlier reports, it is planned to begin tests of the sea-based Pantsir system onboard a ship at the end of 2016.

    The Pantsir-M is designed to supersede the Kortik system.


    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/900185


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Project Canada

    Posts : 622
    Points : 627
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Project Canada on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

    on other news..,

    project 941 Very Happy








    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10519
    Points : 10996
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 am

    The underwater missile "Predator"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2170952.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Missile boats will be protected by "Pantsirs"

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 pm

    Missile boats will be protected by "Pantsirs"

    mini dictionary
    Shell, carpace  = pantsir
    Brains, Brainstorming  =Mozgovyi (name of person Smile

    http://izvestia.ru/news/636773


    Main Command of the Navy has agreed a new long-distance carriers face of cruise missiles "Caliber" - small missile ships "Buyan-M" type of project 20380. They will be equipped with the latest radar station (RLS) with an active phased array (AESA). This system will be installed, along with anti-aircraft missile artillery system (SPAR) "Carapace-CM", which will provide the highest level of security vehicles.

    Latest radar made in JSC "Central Design Bureau of Apparatus" (included in the holding "Precision Systems"). Unique radar is able to detect the fraction of a second low-flying cruise missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles and surface targets and bring them a whole arsenal of anti-ship and anti-aircraft missiles and rapid-fire artillery. The first ship of the new radar will be laid in the next year.

    - Currently, the appearance of ships "Buyan-M" with the new radar agreed, - told "Izvestia" a source in the Navy, familiar with the work. - The decision was made back in the summer. In addition to the new radar will be installed on the ship antiaircraft rocket artillery system (SPAR) "Carapace-CM". Now a new radar being tested on board the boats 12443 "Lightning", which we plan to complete before the end of the year.

    The new radar is the basis of the marine version of the anti-aircraft missile and gun complexes "Carapace-CM". Compared to land analogue "Carapace-C1" Marine SPAR has increased twice the detection range and engage targets. Locator sees everything that happens on the water and air at a distance of 75 km, and anti-aircraft complex of striking targets at a distance of 40 km.

    As explained by the expert, the traditional marine radar consists of a huge rotating on the roof of the wheelhouse antenna web-sail. The new radar will be the continuation of the conning-tower superstructure with three sides which are placed flat antenna. Each of them consists of a plurality of combined into one transceiver modules, which moves in a fraction of a second electron beam scanning space. He finds in the sector of 180 degrees ship rate air and surface targets, their selectors, it brings weapons and can even work as a means of jamming.

    An expert in the field of naval arms Brainstorming Alexander told "Izvestia", the first time such a system has been implemented on the fighter T-50.

    - Since 2017 it is planned to construct and install small missile ships of Project 20380 Type "Buyan-M", as well as within the framework of the modernization, on five similar ships which are already a part of the Caspian Flotilla and the Black Sea fleet - says Brain. - These ships distinguished themselves during a massive strike by cruise missiles "Caliber" of the Black and Caspian seas LIH terrorist purposes (organization banned in Russia) in Syria. New radar and "Carapace-SM" are replaced by anti-aircraft missile system "flexible" with missiles "Igla-M", as well as basic generic detection radar station "Positive".

    According to the expert, the dignity of AESA radar is not only in speed, but also in the fact that the system is fully fit into the concept of stealth stealth becoming a part of the body.

    - This is a unique technology - said the Brain. - missile boats projects 20380 ( Me: hmmm and not Buyans? ) and 22800 are the main striking force of our Navy. Therefore, in their neutralization will be the direction of the main forces of the enemy. It is important that our ships will be the powerful air defense system that can guarantee to protect them from air and missile attack.


    is so why not add Paket torpedoes too?



    and below updated AK-176 76mm gun for 22800

    The small Russian Navy will receive sniper weapons


    http://vpk-news.ru/news/32494



    Decided to equip all small missile ships and boats sverhskorostrelny 76-mm automatic gun AK-176МА accuracy thanks to the digital control and all-weather optronic system is not inferior to the sniper rifle.
    Depending on the type of vehicle that the product can be accommodated as in a conventional spherical, and stealth tower, which due to the angular forms invisible to enemy radar.

    With a weight of 10 tons the latest artillery systems are able to produce on a target located at a distance of 15 km, not less than 150 artillery shells. The main difference between AK-176МА from their predecessors — the digital control system, as well as the latest optical-electronic station "Sphere-2", allowing to detect targets at ranges of dozens of kilometers, day and night, in heavy rain and even storm.
    Read more: http://vpk-news.ru/news/32494

    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:20 pm

    George1 wrote:The underwater missile "Predator"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2170952.html

    From text is looks like improved Shkval cavitating torpedo. I wonder if any control is added and range. It might be nice weapon for drones. just lay down on bottom 1km +, no sound, no movement, just listening. Until Ac group comes close..then salvo of 500km/h torpedos and the way cleared Smile
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4489
    Points : 4662
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:34 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    George1 wrote:The underwater missile "Predator"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2170952.html

    From text is looks like improved Shkval cavitating torpedo. I wonder if any control is added and range. It might be nice weapon for drones. just lay down on bottom 1km +,  no sound, no movement, just listening. Until Ac group comes close..then salvo of 500km/h torpedos and the way cleared Smile

    There's another article from a different source that also talks about the ABM A-235 in relation to it, which is real puzzling.

    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=ru&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvpk.name%2Fnews%2F165449_podvodnaya_raketa_hishnik.html&edit-text=&act=url
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:13 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    George1 wrote:The underwater missile "Predator"

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2170952.html

    From text is looks like improved Shkval cavitating torpedo. I wonder if any control is added and range. It might be nice weapon for drones. just lay down on bottom 1km +,  no sound, no movement, just listening. Until Ac group comes close..then salvo of 500km/h torpedos and the way cleared Smile

    There's another article from a different source that also talks about the ABM A-235 in relation to it, which is real puzzling.

    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=ru&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvpk.name%2Fnews%2F165449_podvodnaya_raketa_hishnik.html&edit-text=&act=url

    not that bad, look below

    JSC "KB "Electropribor" (Saratov) presented the application-presentation for participation in the contest "aircraft Builder of the year" by the end of 2015, organized by the Union of aircraft manufacturers of Russia.


    In the first part of the application of JSC "KB "Electropribor"
    is created to represent the enterprise modernized management system "multi-channel missile system special purpose" (of the missile defense complex) system RTC-181М (A-235) in the framework of the ROC "Plane-M". It is reported that "since the beginning of 2015 is the serial production of the modernized systems. At the end of 2016 it is planned to conduct interdepartmental testing of the system, including field work (missile), the results of which will be held the awarding of the design documentation of the upgraded system the letter "O1".


    Later in the application it is reported that "one of the directions of scientific and technical activity of JSC "KB "Electropribor" on the implementation of the state defense order are the R & d to develop composite parts advanced underwater vehicles".


    So A-235 is referring to a first part of presentation. Second to improved Shkval.

    nastle77

    Posts : 195
    Points : 255
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  nastle77 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:18 am

    The RBU 6000 can it be used for shore bombardment and also against surface ships (I'm assuming can only be effective against merchant ships patrol boats etc) ?
    Thanks
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5538
    Points : 5579
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Militarov on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:41 am

    nastle77 wrote:The RBU 6000 can it be used for shore bombardment and also against surface ships (I'm assuming can only be effective against merchant ships patrol boats etc) ?
    Thanks

    Its not very practical to be used aganist other surface ships, no point in it.

    However yes, it can be used for shore bombardment.

    nastle77

    Posts : 195
    Points : 255
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  nastle77 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:59 pm

    Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5538
    Points : 5579
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Militarov on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:54 pm

    nastle77 wrote:Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?

    They will explode its very simple arming fuse, however why would you target surface ship with it? I dont see the situations for it myself. For shore bombardment sure, it would act like mortar but why against surface ships?
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 822
    Points : 820
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Isos on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    nastle77 wrote:Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?

    They will explode its very simple arming fuse, however why would you target surface ship with it? I dont see the situations for it myself. For shore bombardment sure, it would act like mortar but why against surface ships?

    Why not ! if it's close to you you fire with everything you have to take advantage.

    nastle77

    Posts : 195
    Points : 255
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  nastle77 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    nastle77 wrote:Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?

    They will explode its very simple arming fuse, however why would you target surface ship with it? I dont see the situations for it myself. For shore bombardment sure, it would act like mortar but why against surface ships?
    I was thinking of very low tech warfare
    This system is carried by parchim poti petya class ships which also are the major surface combatants of smaller navies in 80s so maybe this RBU can be used as a weapon against offshore patrol vessels minseweepers coastal merchant shopping etc too esp against opponents who might not have much of a submarine fleet

    nastle77

    Posts : 195
    Points : 255
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  nastle77 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 pm

    Isos wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    nastle77 wrote:Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?

    They will explode its very simple arming fuse, however why would you target surface ship with it? I dont see the situations for it myself. For shore bombardment sure, it would act like mortar but why against surface ships?

    Why not !  if it's close to you you fire with everything you have  to take advantage.
    Exactly was thinking of low tech littoral warfare involving small ships that routinely carried this system but didn't have submarine opponents and might end up fighting other smaller surface combatents

    miroslav

    Posts : 62
    Points : 64
    Join date : 2016-11-16
    Location : Land of Serbia

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  miroslav on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 pm

    nastle77 wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    nastle77 wrote:Re RBU 6000
    Will it's rockets not explode if they hit surface ships or land targets ? Are they designed to explode only under water ?

    They will explode its very simple arming fuse, however why would you target surface ship with it? I dont see the situations for it myself. For shore bombardment sure, it would act like mortar but why against surface ships?

    Why not !  if it's close to you you fire with everything you have  to take advantage.
    Exactly was thinking of low tech littoral warfare involving small ships that routinely carried this system but didn't have submarine opponents and might end up fighting other smaller surface combatents  

    Theoretically this is all possible, but the system is not designed for it at all. This is essentially an area target weapon not a point target one. If you want to engage surface targets (sea or land) there are far, far more effective weapons like the main gun, as some one mentioned before, most ships equipped with RBU-600 will have at least a 57mm universal gun. Using an RBU-6000 up an close against an enemy ship is well, 19 century style.

    As far ass the fuse goes, its a dual one, it can be activates by contact and set to detonate at a certain depth, the minimal difference in depth that the grenades are set to is 5m. So a volley of 12 grenades will cover the dept from, for instance, 50 to 105 with detonations at every 5m, roughly. The fuse can be set manually or automatically, meaning, as an example: first three at 50, 70 and 80, second three at 100 120 140 and so on.

    The new versions of the grenades, like the ones on Adm. Girgorovic and I supose on the Udaloy class, have an active seeker head, basically a small sonar, the warhead is smaller (shaped charge for point contact) but that is a small drawback compare to the gains of having an active seeker head.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Naval Weapon Systems & Technology

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:15 pm